ONE

December 16th, 2019, 8:30 AM

___

I opened my windows to let in the fresh winter air. It was mid-December, and I was stuck at a crusty ski resort in Utah. I hopped right out of bed, wrestled myself into some warm clothes, and jogged over to the main lodge for breakfast.

The main lodge smelled like pine sap and burnt wood, which triggered my allergies. But the scary part was... there were people. I never was the gal you'd usually spot at a small gathering, much less a crowded ski resort. Even the idea of having a calm conversation with a fellow gamer sent chills down my spine.

"Hey, are you standing in line?" Someone asked, messing with his dirty-blonde hair. I wanted to curse at him for making me almost spill hot cocoa over my sweater. Instead, I cleared my throat, nervously fiddled with my black beanie, and turned to look him in the eye. He was around six inches taller than me and was already in his ski outfit. "Uh, yeah, uh, but you can cut... I guess," I stammered, my face going red. Crap.

"Thank you so much!" He smiled and gestured to the middle-aged woman next to him, cueing for her to step in line. "That's my mom," He chuckled. "I'm teaching her how to ski today."

Ah, how wonderful. His mom was there! "H-how nice of you," I laughed. I didn't mean to laugh.

I just decided to buy myself a waffle and leave, nothing special.