01

Harry looked in the mirror one last time, casting a glamour charm before leaving the bathroom, shutting the door behind him on his way out. He walked down the stairs and checked to see if the cupboard had been unlocked yet. When it opened, he pulled his trunk out, grunted at the amount of effort it took.

"BOY! GET OVER HERE NOW!" The Gryffindor sighed, and walked into the living room, dragging his trunk along with him, Hedwig's cage resting atop it. Where the bird was was a mystery to the boy, he'd let her out last night and she hadn't yet returned. But she was smart, she'd find her way to Hogwarts eventually.

Harry's uncle was standing near the door with his arms crossed, tapping his large foot impatiently. "Well, get a move on now! You should be grateful we're taking you, you freak!"

"Yes sir," Harry said, walking outside and attempting to lift his items into the trunk of the car. It was difficult, especially with Harry as weak as he was. Dudley came up behind him, and Harry flinched, expecting a punch to the face or something of the sort.

"Need a hand?" his cousin asked, making Harry give him a strange look. Dudley had been acting weird ever since the dementor attack, and Harry wondered if a part of the boy's soul had been taken after all. Dudley acting civil was definitely something Harry never expected to see.

Harry nodded, and together the two were able to get Harry's things into the trunk. "Thanks, Dudley." The boy nodded and hopped into the car, Harry following.

It was a long drive to King's Cross Station, for Harry at least. He spent the entire time looking out the window, looking at all the different cars and buildings as they passed. Finally, they made it just ten minutes before the Hogwarts Express was due to leave.

Vernon grabbed his trunk and cage, and threw them onto the ground, then pulled Harry out of the car, and they were gone as soon as they'd arrived. Sighing, Harry stood up, brushing his pants off, and didn't even bother getting something to carry his trunk. When he finally made it through the barrier to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, he only had minutes to get on the train. 

When Harry made it onto the train, he didn't bother with finding a compartment, knowing most would be full, and he didn't feel like talking to people right now. Of course, Professor McGonagall didn't like this very much when she found him standing in a hallway, looking out a window, so she helped him find a compartment that wasn't full. Luckily, the first one with room they found was the compartment containing Ron and Hermione, so McGonagall left Harry with them, and shut the compartment door.

"Harry, how was your summer?" Hermione asked, smiling. 

"Could have been better, you?"

"Oh, it was amazing! My parents took me to Rome, and..." She went into a long explanation of all the wonders of Rome, not that Harry was listening much, though she didn't seem to notice. When she had finally finished, she turned to Ron and asked about Ron's summer.

"We went to see Charlie in Romania for a few weeks, so that was nice. Fred and George apparated all over the house, making mum go crazy. She was ready to strangle them by the time summer was over. Bloody awesome, it was."

Harry nodded and looked out the window, something he seemed to have taken a liking to. He shifted in his seat, wincing when there was a sharp pain in his chest. Stupid fractured ribs, he thought as he gripped the seat as if it would help subside the pain.

"Harry, are you alright?" Hermione asked, noticing how tense he had become. Ron looked over at the question, and they both stared at Harry, expecting an answer.

"Fine, just stubbed my toe." Hermione hesitated, but dropped it, and turned to Ron.

"We have to leave for the prefect's compartment now, mate. See you later," Ron said, the two standing up.

"You guys are prefects?" Hermione nodded, and they both left, leaving him alone. 

After a few hours, Harry fell asleep, and stayed asleep until he was shaken awake by Hermione, who was already changed into her robes.

"We're arriving soon, I'll leave so you and Ron can get changed," she stated, before exiting once again. They got changed, finishing just as the train started to slow down. 

Walking out to the carriages, Harry stopped and stared at the creature that was between the shafts of each one.

"What are those things?" he asked, walking a little closer to them.

"What things?" Ron asked, looking over to where Harry was.

"Those horse things, pulling the carriages," Harry replied, motioning towards one.

"Harry, nothing's pulling the carriages," Hermione stated, looking over to him, concern written on her face.

"What, can't you see them?" Harry was getting frustrated now, this joke was getting old.

"See what, mate?" If Ron wasn't alarmed before, he was now. Great, now everyone probably thought he was going mad.

"The horses, Ron. Stop playing tricks on me, they're right there!"

"I really don't see anything. Are you feeling alright, Harry?"

"I'm fine! Let's just get in," he replied, bewildered and angry. And there was the thought that he might be going insane, that was always comforting. They got into the carriage that was to take them to Hogwarts, along with Ginny and a girl with dirty-blonde hair.

"It's all right, you're not going mad or anything. I can see them too," the strange girl replied. Harry wouldn't say it out loud, but he wasn't very reassured. The girl didn't seem like she was all there, from what Harry could say. Though, he couldn't say much, as this was his first time speaking to her.

"Sorry, what's your name?" Harry asked.

"Luna Lovegood. I've been able to see the horses since first year, they've always pulled the carriages. Your just as sane as I am." Luna's voice was dreamy, and she smiled a lot. Harry didn't find many things to smile about these days.

"Right. Thanks, Luna." Harry shifted uncomfortably, the only thing on his mind the entire way back was the thought that he really might be going crazy. Probably, bad things did have a way of happening when he was around.

Word count: 1069