Prologue

2001

Dear Diary,

A new boy moved in to the house next to us. His name is Brandon. He's the first boy I've ever seen that I think might not have cooties. When I fell down and scraped my knee, he helped me up. I told him we could be friends and that he could sit with me at lunch. He said okay.

It's always nice to have a new friend.

2006

Dear Diary,

Brandon asked me to be his date to the homecoming dance today. He'd been my best friend since he moved in five years ago. I'd had a crush on him since that day. When I said yes, he kissed me. My first kiss! His brown eyes looked so happy; I'd never seen them sparkle so much. After he asked, he ran towards the boys locker room to get ready for his game. I was walking towards the front of the school when Brandon chased me down, handing me his away jersey and asking me to wear it at the game. And then to the homecoming game in three weeks.

The dance was three weeks away and mom promised to take me shopping for the perfect dress.

She didn't seem surprised when I told her Brandon asked me to go to the dance with him.

Dear Diary,

Yesterday was the homecoming dance. I was so nervous. Mom helped me pick out a dress. It was red and sparkly, matching our school colors. Brandon made sure to have his tie match. Our parents fussed over us, taking endless pictures. Neither of us could drive so we rode with an older boy and his girlfriend. I didn't know either of them but Brandon played football with the guy.

In the weeks between asking me to homecoming and the dance he'd taken me on two dates. One to the ice rink and a second to the arcade. He held my hand and kissed me. Cora asked about the bases we'd gotten to, but apparently we hadn't reached any of them. We weren't even at first because we hadn't made out yet. Maybe that meant he didn't want to be more than friends? But if that was true, why would he have held my hand in the back of the car on the way to the dance.

My answer finally came during the last dance of the night. My arms were around his neck while his rested at my waist. We'd been dancing closer and his hands had been lower but a chaperone had told us to leave room for the Holy Ghost and pushed Brandon's hands up from my lower back. As soon as she was gone, he pulled me close again, his hands dropping lower, fingers grazing the curve of my butt. "Yellow," by Coldplay played as we swayed to the music. Just before the song ended Brandon kissed me. A real kiss. At least according to Cora. His lips started moving against mine, and when he licked across my bottom lip I gasped in surprise. Then he pushed his tongue into my mouth, against mine. And that's when I knew what kissing truly was.

Cora said the first kiss was always awkward. But this. This wasn't. It was like his lips were made to be kissing mine, fitting together like we were two puzzle pieces, perfectly fitting against the other's curves and edges.

"Lexi, will you be my girlfriend?" He'd whispered softly as the lights flicked on, signaling the end of the dance.

I'd answered yes, immediately, throwing my arms around him and kissing him again. When we'd finally broken apart I was breathless and dizzy with happiness.

2007

Dear Diary,

Today was the last day of sophomore year. We were half way through high school. But something even better happened. Brandon told me he loved me. We were driving home from school when he suddenly pulled into the ice cream shop. Without even asking he ordered me a brownie sundae with extra caramel sauce and peanuts. The only thing I ever ordered when we came here. We sat on a picnic bench, laughing and eating and making summer plans. Brandon was eating rocky road and cotton candy ice cream in a waffle cone. I thought it was the grossest combination I'd ever heard of, but he ordered it every time.