Book/Movie Review

12 Years a Slave is the true story about a free African American man named Solomon Northup with two children and a wife. In the story, key events that happened to Solomon are that Solomon was tricked into slavery, and he was bought by Master Ford then he was traded to Master Epps and Solomon plans to escape.The theme of 12 Years a Slave is equally about the brutality of slavery and how it dehumanized enslaved African-Americans but also how enslaved African-Americans endured slavery and were resilient during slavery.   

In the part 12 Years a Slave, where Solomon is kidnapped and sold into slavery, the principal theme is about the brutality of slavery and how it dehumanized enslaved African-Americans. Evidence that supports this theme is the scene in the book where Solomon Northup was captured by two white slave traders. Solomon claimed he was a free man but he couldn't prove to the slave traders he was a free man. Solomon was beaten with tools, until he was admitted he was a slave. Solomon denied he was a slave so he was beaten really bad. Solomon compared the beating to burning in hell. The evidence in the scene of the book supports the theme because Solomon was being beaten brutally only because he won’t admit he’s a free man, and also Solomon was being dehumanized because the pain he was feeling was like burning in hell. http://www.tubechop.com/watch/4544979

    In the part of 12 Years a Slave, where life on Master Ford’s Plantation was fine, the principal theme is about how enslaved African-Americans endured slavery and were resilient during slavery. Evidence that supports this theme is the scene in the movie where Eliza (slave) was sobering for her children because she misses them. Solomon told her to stop then she asked why he wasn't crying for his children. He responded “They are as my flesh.” The evidence in the scene of the movie supports the theme because Solomon needs to endure slavery and stay strong enough to run away and see his family. http://www.tubechop.com/watch/4545120

    In the part of 12 Years a Slave, where life on Master Epps’ Plantation was cruel and harsh, the principal theme is about the brutality of slavery and how it dehumanized enslaved African-Americans. Evidence that supports this theme is the scene in the book where Master Epps looks for Patsey (slave) because she was no where to be found. As soon as she got back Master Epps asked her where she was and she responded “I went over to Harriets to get a piece.” Master Epps did not believe her so he ordered her to strip. He ordered Solomon to whip her, but he couldn’t do it so Epps whipped her. As she was being whipped she begged for mercy. The evidence in the scene of the book supports the theme because Epps whips Patsey very brutally while she begged for mercy which shows Patsey being dehumanized. Also after the whipping was over Patsey was in so much pain.

    In the part 12 Years a Slave, where Solomon Northup escapes from slavery the theme is about how enslaved African-Americans endured slavery and were resilient during slavery. Armbsy was a white drunkard and degenerate gambler, well you might ask why he was in the fields. Armsby was forced to labor alongside black slaves in the cotton fields of Louisiana, to work off a debt. Evidence that supports this theme is the scene in the movie where Solomon offers Armsby money and asks him if he could take a letter to the post office, Armsby said “I’m putting my life at risk.” Then Epps finds out that Solomon asked to send a letter because Armsby told Epps about Solomon trying to escape. The evidence in the scene of the book supports the theme because Solomon was resilient enough to prepare a letter and brave to ask Armsby to deliver it to the post office. Solomon was also clever enough to lie his way out of punishment when Armsby told on him.

    Overall, 12 Years a Slave deserves 4 stars. People should see the movie and read the book because it shows you how life was in the 1800’s and how we should be thankful that its not happening now also it shows how many innocent people suffered.