Missing School

Hi guys this is my first story that I'm uploading, please let me know if there are typos or mistakes and such. I hope you like it and thanks for reading!

Billy and his troop stumbled out of the woods into a clearing. In the clearing there were a few paths leading to a crumbling stone building. He could see that it had once been part of something much bigger, most likely a university, based on the fact it was set into a clearing. It reminded Billy of those last days at college before he enlisted. Those days felt so long ago, even though it had been less than a year since he enlisted. He remembered what it was like on his last day at school, the day he went to enlist because he knew he would either enlist or be drafted.

⦁ ⦁ ⦁

Billy forced his way through the crowded hallways of Princeton University. The entire school was the same as it always was, the high-ceilinged hallways with stone-arched windows were as noisy and crowded as usual, but today was different for Billy. He made his way across the campus, cut across the quad, and made a beeline for the library, where his best friend, Russel Bowden, was waiting.

As he entered the library, he looked around, searching for his friend in their usual spot. In the back corner, between the book return and check out, sitting at a table with a chess game set up, was Russel. He waved, then headed over to where his friend was sitting, slinging his backpack off his shoulder as he weaved between the tables and shelves in the library.

As Billy sat down, Russel started firing questions at him rapidly, "Hey, hey, is it true? Are you really enlisting in the army? Why would you decide to enlist instead of waiting to be drafted? Do you know what regiment you wanna be in? Do your parents approve or even know? When are you going to enlist?" he asked.

Billy answered, easily keeping up with Russel's high-speed interrogation, "Yes. I am. Because I'd rather choose where I go and what I do. I want to be a lieutenant in the army, or at least a commanding officer, but I don't really care about the division. Both my parents know, and my dad is proud of me for wanting to serve my country like my brother, but my mother doesn't want both of us to go to war. My plan is to enlist this afternoon after classes are over, which they now are. Aaaand check and mate, I win." This last part was because Billy had maneuvered his knight so that it was focused on the king, which couldn't move away because of the queen and bishop.