Hajime

From the Outside Looking in

DR3 provides us with a Hajime who is unhappy with his life of normalcy and looks up to Hope's Peak Academy as a means by which to find himself. He enters into Hope's peak as a member of the reserve course which is stressed to be extremely expensive, and something that his parents can't feasibly pay tuition for him to attend. We as an audience don't know quite how expensive it is, but considering that fellow reserve course student and Fuyuhiko's sister, Natsumi Kuzuryu who is a part of the damn Japanese Yukaza, we can infer that it's certainly not cheap and if the current situation keeps up, Hajime is going to force his parents and himself out of a home to live in. However in Hajime's case he's in a tough spot. As a person, Hajime wants more for himself, which is why he idolizes Hope's Peak as much as he does. He doesn't want to just blend in with the normal crowd, in fact he's miserable in his previous high school. Living a normal life among normal people simply won't do, and he wants more out of life than that. He might not have a talent, but he still views himself as above those around him and hopes to eventually obtain a talent, which by extension would give him the confidence he needs to have pride in himself. Hajime's mindset is equivalent to my mindset when I hadn't been in a relationship before. As as single individual, I saw everyone around me in relationships, the social status, power, and recognition for having been in one, and I saw myself without it. My mindset was that being in a relationship was empowering and were I able to have one with a girl, then my self confidence would skyrocket and I'd be a better person. However having not having a relationship before, I had no personal experience to recognize that this was the wrong mindset to have. Similarly, Hajime's mindset as a member of the reserve course is similar to this as he considers having a talent equates to social status, recognition, friendship, acceptance, and being happy all of these being why he wants a talent so badly.

Friendship and early interactions

Hajime makes his first friend in Chiaki, which really explains the magnitude of how unhappy Hajime really is with his current situation. In their first conversation, Hajime explains his envy of the Ultimates and Chiaki expresses how he's not shackled down to being limited to said talent and how Hajime has more freedom to do as he chooses which resonated with him and he took her advice to heart.

He also has brief conversations with Chisa and Tengan. Chisa scolds him for considering himself as a lowly reserve course, and advises him to start believing in himself. In the conversation with Tengan, he tells Hajime not to fear normalcy when Hajime expresses his concerns about declining the Izuru project as he'd have to return to his old high school.

Hajime has another event with Chiaki where he's unable to focus on his game due to lack of self confidence on not being an Ultimate like Chiaki and causes him to lose. Chiaki is annoyed by his inferiority complex and attempts to get him to understand that there's more important things than just talent, that being making memories and forging friendships which again is advice he takes to heart.

Twilight Syndrome Murder Case (DR3 Edition)

Much of Hajime's reasoning behind accepting the Izuru Kamakura project can be found here on account of the philosophies of Natumi and Sato. As the only other non generic reserve course student, Hajime finds himself caught in the Sato/Natsumi/Mahiru drama. He attempts to intervene with Natsumi in an attempt to get her from antagonizing Sato to no avail. We then learn Natsumi's opinion on matters that Sato, a person with no talent has no right to interact with a talented person such as Mahiru. It's a rather elitist opinion and way to go about things, but given Natsumi's pride in her upbringing she does have an egotistical aura surrounding her. In Hajime's attempts to calm down Natsumi, he mirrors Chiaki's own advise that was said to him, that talent isn't all that matters and that Natsumi should prioritize on making memories with her brother Fuyuhiko. Natsumi wants these happy memories with her brother, but she views herself unworthy to be besides him.