Chapter 1

"You like him!?" Ruby snickered and kept looking in between the two of us.  The neckline of her loose knitted green sweater had fallen off of her shoulder when she put her elbow on the table of the library while attempting to cover her laugh. 

     "Shut up!" I whisper yelled. 

     Usually, like I have every other year, I wouldn't have told anyone about my secret crush on Jackson. For some reason I picked today to be my first time. Whenever Ruby wanted her friend and I to meet she would describe me as a 'classy girl who wants to live in Paris.' I totally disagree, of course, but only because it's kinda true. She also says that I'm the type that goes to drive-in theaters and brings a sleeping bag in the car in case I pass by a nice field to look at the stars. And yeah, she's right. But she's the one who smiles at you when you think they're looking and as soon as they assume you're not, they're smile drops into a blank stare at some white wall with chipping paint. 

     I blinked myself back into reality. "He'll hear you otherwise," I narrowed my eyes at her. 

     "I can't believe you like him!" 

     As soon as she said that, Jackson's head turned to us. I held my breath. He had dark, wavy hair with endless hazel eyes. He had full lips and high cheekbones. He looked like a model straight out of a French magazine. After what felt like ten minutes of me staring directly into his eyes, he turned back, searching for a book through some shelves. Probably a history book that Mr.Dough assigned to us for a project. The one on European History. I forgot which one, but that project was due tomorrow and we were suppose to get that book two weeks ago. Despite that knowledge, he looked relaxed and I had a feeling he would pull an all-nighter and still manage to get an A. It wasn't fair. 

     "He heard you," I groaned. "God, you're so loud," I complained and Ruby just laughed. 

     "I just can't believe that you, Elli Morrison, like him, Jackson Grey."

     I turned to her. "What's so hard to believe?" 

     Ruby shrugged. "I just don't see you two together, he's way out of your league. You'll never end up with him!"

     And I didn't.