Prologue

Before you start reading, my prologue won the Best Prologue Award from the Fruit Awards 2021! Thank you so much for reading this and enjoy the vagueness! 

January 21, 2027 4th grade

Dear Diary,

My teacher found out. Let me explain. Today in school I was distracted thinking about the possibilities of what I could do, and she noticed. Mrs. Whittenburg pulled me off to the side and asked me what was wrong. I didn't mean to tell her, but I did. The weird thing was that she wasn't surprised. She calmly told me to be careful and when the bell rang, she said goodbye and gave me a hug. I don't exactly know why, but I expect it's because the weekend is coming.

January 24, 2027 4th grade

Dear Diary,

My teacher is gone. They say she is going to move soon, without her family. I don't know why. She was happy here with her son, three dogs, and husband. Or at least I think. The story doesn't match up. It must have been my fault, I told her and she is moving. I understand why she said goodbye, she was running away from me. I will still miss her though. She actually seemed to understand me, but obviously couldn't stand me.

May 21, 2029 6th grade

Dear Diary,

I told her. I cannot believe I told her. I have been trying to keep it a secret ever since last time, but I felt I could trust her. She was frightened, I could tell, but she was mostly excited and curious. This is all confusing, let's start from the beginning. I was over at her house for Friday afternoon and we were doing girl circle. Since she is my best friend, we get together as often as we can. I don't see her at school either (she is homeschooled), so we spend plenty of afternoons together. We were doing truth or dare, and I picked truth. She asked about my biggest secret and I told her. She laughed at first, telling me to tell her my actual secret, but I was dead serious. I demonstrated for her and now here we are. To be completely honest, I'm nervous. What if it happens again?

May 24, 2029 6th grade

Dear Diary,

It happened again. I was stupid enough to believe that it wouldn't happen again, but who was I kidding? It went like this. I went over to her house after school, only to find her crying parents saying she had run away from home with a boy. They showed me the note and I was stunned, it was her handwriting. It doesn't make sense though. She didn't know many boys other than our siblings, I knew that for sure. Her parents were overprotective, rarely letting her out of the house alone, or without adult supervision. And three days ago when we were talking she didn't tell me this. It stings that my best friend wouldn't say goodbye. Or maybe we weren't even friends in the first place.

October 21, 2031 8th grade

Dear Diary,

Caleb saw and I panicked. You can't blame me though. The last thing I need is for my brother to end up like the last two. I pretended it was nothing when he asked, and he didn't question me after that, but there is no way he will forget. I have to be with him at all times, so he can't disappear. I will make up an excuse, I have to. If I lose him... I don't want to think about what will happen. Before this happened I would have wanted him to know, but now? It has become my worst nightmare.

October 24, 2031 8th grade

Dear Diary,

It has happened. I tried, but it was no use. First, my teacher, then, my best friend, and finally, my brother. Why, is what I want to know. There is no explanation for where he went. Not a note, not a sign, not anything. They thought it was a kidnapping, but there was no sign of struggle. Suicide? No body. He just disappeared, without telling my mom, my dad, even me. He left our house and left a hole in all our hearts. When I come across something of his, my stomach clenches and I feel nothing but pain, hurt, and shame. I can barely live with myself. He ran away. Just like the others. They were scared of me and now I fear myself. All of this is my fault. I have caused people pain, that will never go away. Three people. Three people, gone because of me. Three is all I am willing to risk. Three is all I can risk.