chapter twenty four.

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: HOW TO SAVE A LIFE

HOW TO SAVE A LIFE.

⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅

THERE WAS A slight pang of guilt inside Birdie when she didn't go along with Sam and Dean to check out a possible case Bobby found. She knew they would've been just fine on their own like the other hundreds of hunts they'd done without her, but a small part of her wondered if she should've stayed with them just to be sure that nothing went wrong. But, she also felt like they might've needed some brotherly time together without her around to make up for some of the time they'd lost. Though, a nagging thought echoed in the back of her mind as she slept beside a snoring Kaiya that night.

What if Dean finds out? You can't keep those secrets hidden for long.

She tossed and turned throughout the night, forcing herself to stop fidgeting so she wouldn't disturb Kaiya anymore than she probably already had. Dean's not gonna be happy. Birdie deeply frowned, dark brown eyes gazing up at the dark ceiling of Kaiya's bedroom. There wasn't any sound inside the room except for an occasional snore from Kaiya, sometimes the blankets ruffling together when Birdie or Kaiya changed positions. The TV had been turned off a few hours ago when they finally decided to head to bed after one too many rounds of Mario Kart, only the faint light from the hall creeping underneath the door. The clear skies overhead allowed for dozens of stars to take turns twinkling down, but Birdie was unable to see them as the curtains were fully closed over the lengthy windows; something Birdie had noticed that Kaiya started to do in the last few months.

Birdie couldn't blame the woman after what had all happened to her; if anything, Birdie felt like she'd added even more to Kaiya's growing paranoia and fear after the demon managed to sneak into her home all those months ago.

Birdie sourly twisted her lips and rolled onto her side, facing the closed door. Her and Kaiya were back to back, the shared comforter keeping them both warm as the weather outside grew colder with the winter months still upon them. She slipped a hand under the thin pillow beneath her head, fingers glossing over the gun she'd tucked underneath before Kaiya returned from the bathroom. Her eyes bored into the door across from her, brows knitted together as one thought from another whizzed into her mind. You should've gone with Sam and Dean. You're putting Kaiya in danger being here. Birdie tightened her jaw, clenching her eyes shut. Go to sleep, go to sleep. She pulled the blanket up to her shoulders, turning her head so it was partially pressed into the pillow. You know I'm right. Sam needs you now more than ever.

It wasn't until an hour later that her mind had quieted and she finally felt herself start to relax. She welcomed the sleep with open arms, dreaming of being with Kaiya and the boys while not a single monster daring to threaten their happiness. She and Sam sat across from each other at Kaiya's kitchen table, Kaiya and Dean in the other seats. A bottle of red wine was placed in the middle of the table, but only Sam had decided to drink some of it. Dean opted for a simple beer as did Kaiya, the two sharing cheeky grins with another. Birdie glanced down at the drink in front of her with a smile, a faint gasp slipping out of her lips when she saw that her lemonade was no longer a faded yellow. It was dark red. No, wait. . .it wasn't even lemonade anymore. It was——