chapter thirty nine.

CHAPTER FOURTY NINE:IT'S A TERRIBLE LIFE

IT'S A TERRIBLE LIFE.

⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅

"HOW'S MY FAVORITE assistant doing this morning?"

Birdie playfully rolled her eyes at the sound of the familiar voice, looking up as the man walked over to stop in front of her desk. His dark hair was slicked back, a refreshing scented gel keeping in place. He wore a striped button up with a red tie underneath a charcoal blazer, having it paired with matching slacks and shiny oxfords that his girlfriend had bought him a few days ago. His green eyes skimmed over Birdie's appearance, noticing she'd chosen for a simple black and white pantsuit with a striped tie. A white, button up blouse was under her blazer, the first few buttons undone to show a shiny silver necklace she'd gotten from her father when she was a little girl. Her makeup was neatly done, a mellow shade of gray eyeshadow covering her eyes and some mascara making her eyelashes longer than usual.

Birdie leaned her elbows on her desk in front of her computer, cheekily smiling up at Dean Smith, AKA her boss.

He was currently the only director at Sandover who had an assistant, but Birdie was just the first of many that would surely be working at the company for the foreseeable future. The company had only just recently decided to expand their offices and Birdie was their first hire. It'd come as quite a surprise to her when she found out she landed the job, but she was grateful to be making more money than before. She'd only been working with Dean for three weeks after they both transferred there around the same time, but she felt like she'd known him forever; he made the job just a little bit easier.

"I'm doing excellent, Mr. Smith," she replied. "How are you?"

"Excellent, Ms. Dixon," Dean replied, matching the woman's perky smile. "How was your date last night?"

Birdie heavily sighed, leaning back in her chair with a frown now decorating her lips. Most people wouldn't really talk about their dating life with their boss, but there was just something about Dean that made Birdie feel like she could open up to him, and he felt the same way about her. "A complete and total bust," Birdie replied, her response causing Dean to frown. "She doesn't like marvel. . .and she. . .I don't really know, but it just felt meh."

"Your date felt meh?" Dean repeated, raising his brows in surprise. "How?"

"I don't know. It was like I-I already knew she wasn't the one for me, you know?"

"No, I don't," Dean denied, shaking his head. Birdie pursed her lips, sharply narrowing her eyes on the older man. He just grinned, softly sighing a few seconds later. "I'm sorry it didn't go well. Maybe the next person you meet'll be the right one."

"Hopefully," Birdie murmured, sadly smiling up at Dean. "At least you've already found the one."

Dean immediately smiled at that. Isla Carters had been one of Dean's first loves, but they'd broken up before going to college when their lives started to go in opposite directions. But, as fate would have it, their paths crossed again a few years later and the spark they thought died between them was reignited. Neither of them wanted it to burn out again and they got back together, falling in love with one another more and more each day. "Speaking of the misses, Isla wants to invite you over for dinner again."