It's my Job, Doc.

It was a stupid idea on Jim's part, and even stupider idea to go along with it on Christina's part. As a fun game for other people on the ship to mingle, get to know one another and possibly play cupid per Captain Kirk he set up unmarked PADD's that denied access to see who was communicating with whom and denying access to hack into the systems. It was supposed to be a little experiment of sorts… as Mr. Spock would have suggested. To boost morale on the ship and let those who chose not to mingle due to schedules talk to others on the Enterprise. And Christina was the first person that Jim met up with and handed her the PADD. 

It was already late and she hadn't even thought of using the PADD for anything except a coaster for her tumbler full of ice water. But knowing how Mr. Scott would be hearing about it, she brought it up and punched in the access password that was on the back of the PADD. As the object came to life, she went to the messaging portion as it was the only option available besides going back to the main screen.

"This better not be a stupid gag, Kirk." Christina grumbled and typed in a message.

Me: 'Hello out there in space?'

There were three rules. No names, do not reveal your title or position, and you can be general with where you work but that's it.

No sooner did she send the message, she received one back.

???: 'Hi, is this a computer or an actual person?'

Christina giggled lightly and replied back.

Me: 'I'm a real person. Female if you need to know.'

The person was quick to respond which surprised her.

???:'Well then… I guess I should say that I am a man if it makes you feel comfortable, miss.'

She shook her head and replied back. 
Me: 'So…. How are you? Are you in your quarters or still on duty?'

???:'I'm still on duty until 2200.  What about you?'

Me: 'I got off of work about an hour ago.'

???: 'Well, aren't you lucky? So what do you do here on the ship?'

Christina but her lip. She can't tell this guy what she does exactly. But she can be general with her answer.

Me: 'I'm a red shirt.'

???: '... Really? You have to be that vague?'

Christina laughed as she could hear the other person facepalm through his message. Just picturing him with his hand over his face and shaking his head made her laugh even more. Her PADD chimed making her look at it and slowly calm down.

???: 'Did I say something wrong?'

Me: 'No! No no, I could just picture you face palming and shaking your head and saying "This girl is a nutter!" I just had to laugh at the imagery.'

???: 'Well then, at least I made you laugh… even though I don't see the humor in my answer.'

With another laugh, Christina finally relaxed in her seat in her quarters and the two messaged for the whole night till his shift was over and he called it a night. And that's how it was for almost two months. Messages and finally knowing each other's schedule so they knew when they weren't going to be available and when they had free time. Christina was sitting in one of the observation decks with her PADD and messaging her mystery friend, now named as Len.