Prologue

Some days I sit back and realize I've watched the days fly by. Some days I look back on what were some great memories. Some days I realize I've had life handed to me on a full platter, and I took advantage of that. I could've taken what adoption had given to me and turned my life around. But, I took the money for drugs instead of saving for tuition. I took the car to go party and the food was just for my munchies not something I thought I was blessed to have. I used my time off in my big house to lie around and watch porn instead of studying.

Then, none of all of that mattered.

But today, I wish I'd listened to my parents.

"Ahh!" There were four of us, the four best friends as we were called. Emily, Poppy, Blair and me, Everly. The four of us were drunk. The four of us, had just jumped topless off of the roof into the swimming pool. And all but one of us, were okay to do so.

I came up from the water laughing and having a fun time until I noticed one of us were missing. "Em?" I shouted over the thumping bass and talkative drunks. I noticed a few feet back a dark figure under the water.

"Shit.." I slurred and waded over, pushing through people. "Em!" I choked as I pulled her lifeless corpse out of the water.

Tears blurred my eyes and I screamed. "Everybody move help me get her out of here! Somebody call 911!" Of course nobody wanted to do that because we were all drunk, and almost all under age. Not to mention the possession of illegal drugs.

So I did it all myself. I pulled her out of the pool, tears running down my face, everybody watching but nobody willing to help me. I called the police. I went with her. But it was too late. As much as I'd like to say there was ever hope there wasn't. But I had to try. That's when I realized I had no real friends here.

Emily and I went way back though. I've known her since we were little as she was adopted a few years before me from the same home. We happened to end up at the same school.

So for this to happen is like me losing my little sister. Leaving the party life has made me a better person, I've never felt more free. Since she's been gone, I haven't felt whole again. But I've never felt alone either.