Introduction

(Attempted Suicide warning.)

  "For this year's Quarter Quell, the male and female tributes will be reaped from the existing pool of victors."

    The words rang through my head, repeating over, and over. I started to feel lightheaded. This couldn't be happening, I had only been out of the games for less than five years. I stood up and took a few wobbly steps until I hit something hard and solid; the wall. Turning so my back was against it, I slid down until I was crouching, my head in my hands. Once my ears stopped ringing, I could hear ear-piercing screaming, and for a split second, I thought it was Annie. I had volunteered for Annie when she got reaped for the 70th Hunger Games. That didn't help much, since she was reaped again for the 71st. Annie used to be my best friend. I mean, why else would I volunteer for her? It is so hard watching your friend go through the Hunger Games. It got even harder once she got back. She slowly started to go crazy after she saw her partner get a battle-ax to the back. I listened for a bit longer until I realized that I was the one who was screaming. 

     I silenced myself and tried to stop hyperventilating. It didn't happen. If anything, my breathing pace increased. It felt as if the walls were closing in on me. I shakily stood up and hobbled over to the kitchen, reaching into the drawer next to the sink and grabbing the largest, sharpest knife I could find. I walked back into a wall to brace myself against, for I didn't think my legs alone could support me. I looked at the tip of the knife, and then to the underside of my left wrist. Staring at the webs of the veins there only tempted me further. I rubbed the knife over my soft flesh, gently so as to not cut myself yet.

     I drew back the knife, and right as I was about to make the first slit, I heard a knock at the door. I looked back to the knife in my hand and didn't answer. "The blade is becoming more tempting the longer I wait." I thought.

     "Wait what?!!?" I heard a male voice behind the door cry. "Shit, did I say that out loud?" I thought

     "Yeah, and you said that out loud too." I jumped, startled by how close the voice was. I looked up to see a pair of sea-green eyes. They travel down to the knife in my hand, and the owner of the beautiful orbs snatches it faster than you can say Finnick Odair. "Hey!" I cry, reaching for the knife. "How did you even get in? The door was locked!"Finnick and I had been friends ever since I won the games. He needed someone, and I sure as hell needed someone. I had my family, but they were killed by the Capitol as soon as I refused to be a prostitute.

     He walked a step back, just out of my reach. "But the window wasn't," he replied. I jumped at him, trying to get my blade back. Well, I tried to jump at him. My legs gave out halfway and I collapsed into me. Luckily, he was able to catch me. I struggled in his grasp, which only made him tighten his grip on me. "Calm down, and I will loosen my grip," Finnick said calmly. I did as he told and stopped struggling, and, as promised, he loosened his grip. Finnick slowly sat down, still holding on to me. I turned to him and just cried into his shoulder. We might have stayed like that for just seconds, or maybe even hours. My tears finally dried and I was able to slow my breathing back to normal. "I don't want to go back," I said quietly to him.

     He stroked my hair softly, his reply being, "You don't have to."I assessed my situation. He was right, there was only a 50/50 chance I was going back into the arena. Mags was also a victor, so there was a chance she would also get reaped, and then I wouldn't have to go back to th... Mags. I couldn't let her go back into the games. She was too fragile, there was no way she would survive. I started tearing up.

     "I've got no one left except you and Mags. I can't lose both of you, too." I said to him. He didn't respond, only held me closer. After a while, Finnick sighed and stood up. He offered me a hand up, which I gladly accepted. Once I was standing, he swooped me up and carried me to my bedroom, bridal style. He laid me down onto my bed and pulled up the covers. He was just about to walk out when I called out to him quietly, "Finnick," I said, "Please stay."

     He gave me a soft smile and laid down beside me, holding me close. He kissed me on the forehead, and I could feel butterflies in my stomach. I tried to make them go away. I couldn't think of him that way. We were just friends...

...Right?

( A/N: So

( A/N: So... this is the first chapter of my first story! pls tell me what you think!)