0

Disclaimer!!!! This is just a prologue!! It's basically just a test chapter to see if you guys like what is written so far and if people enjoy this I'll continue posting chapters. It's short, yes, but I don't want to go into too much detail. (Also James is not Schlatt this is a completely different person)

March 2018

The flames burned brightly and the light of the embers started to burn the emotionless eyes that stared straight back. The pounding of lighthearted music was heard, but not acknowledged by the girl sitting in front of the fire. Cass was in a backyard full of people that she did not know very well, nor did she want to know at all. She just wanted to go home. Her sister, Diana, had asked her to come to this "small gathering" with her a week prior. How could she say no? After everything her older sister had done for her, this was the very least she could do.

Just as Cass was standing up to use the restroom, the noise had died down a little as the fence door opened with an abnormally large squeak. Most people stayed talking with their friends, but others turned and excitedly noticed who had just arrived.

James Herring.

Cass felt the heat rise to her cheeks as she locked eyes with him momentarily. She had been in love with him since seventh grade. Of course eight years later she was still fascinated by the boy, but knew she had lost any chance she had with him the day she managed to gain her "reputation". James was always a sweet boy who would never judge someone for things they had done. That was part of the reason she was in love with him. That, and the fact that his last name was literally a fish. But even she knew that despite being a good guy, he would never go for her. Ever.

Cass glanced down at her empty cup. Her gaze flickered up to find her sister in the groups of people. The fifty or so people gathered in this backyard began to blend together and it was getting harder to see. She rushed into the house where even more people were gathered laughing around and drinking. A sick feeling grew in her stomach and before she knew it, Cass found herself bent over and throwing up into a bush by the side of the house.

"Hey. You okay?" A hand rested on her shoulder and Cass tensed up against it. She knew that voice anywhere. It was James.

"Yeah.." Her voice faltered slightly. The girl didn't bother looking up, because she didn't want to ruin this moment they were having.

"Can I get you something? Water?" He sounded genuinely worried.

"That would be nice." Cass mumbled. The hand fell away from her shoulder and the sound of footsteps clouded her ears.

She sat with her knees pulled up to her chest while she waited for him to return. Once he did, he handed her a cup of water and she gingerly thanked him before dropping her head.

"Maybe you should lay off the alcohol. Shit messes with you." He chuckled as he slid down onto the ground next to her.

"I didn't drink anything." Cass mumbled before sipping the water.

"Really? Huh. I guess that makes sense..you know with everything that happened." He shrugged but smiled down at her.

Cass' eyebrows furrowed as she finally looked up at him.

"How did you.." She trailed off as she got lost in his sage green eyes.

"No one else in our grade had bright red hair like you, Cass." He smirked slightly.

Cass found herself blushing and instantly looking down. It hurt her even more now that he was being so nice to her. She didn't expect kindness from anyone after what had happened. She was a bitch before everything changed and the only person that actually helped her was Diana.

But now there was James.

James would love her the way she never had been.

James would fix her.

James would..