Chapter One

-warning-there is some mention of slight self harm and dark thoughts

Though the chestnut colored sweater did wonders for my bright skin, I couldn't help but itch the inside of my wrist. The sun overhead was much warmer than I had anticipated, and mixed with the nerves of orientation, I was slowly starting to crack. Wow Harry, not even one fucking day at university and you're already failing. Figures. I began to itch more vigorously as my thoughts kept attacking me. They seemed to get louder and closer, making me feel claustrophobic even in the outdoor corridor. My wrist was throbbing and I could feel my chest tightening when a voice broke through.

"Harry, is it? Are you alright? The group is leaving now, we're all going to our dorms." I looked up to see a girl wearing a nametag reading 'Kendall'. Her presence startled me at first, but I regained my composure and detached my hand from abusing my wrist. "Oh, um, yeah, thanks. I guess I was a little distracted." I said nervously. She laughed lightly and extended her hand towards me. "Well that's alright, my name's Kendall." I tried my best to give her a warm smile and took her hand with firm gratitude. "It's great to meet you Kendall. Should we go catch up with the others then?" I asked looking farther down the sidewalk to see our group almost a quarter mile down the long road. "Yeah, probably." She said nervously laughing.

We jogged up to the back of the group, keeping some distance so we could have a conversation without invading the tour guide's monologue. "So, not to be rude or anything, but I've never heard of you before. You haven't been to any of the summer sessions, and I don't know of your family." She started. I knew this question was coming. "I don't want to – I sound like a bitch – I'm just curious on how you got into Reynier." I nodded my head knowingly, not wanting to make her feel bad. It was a valid question. "Well, um, I'm smart I guess." I said shyly moving some of my curls out of the way. Kendall threw her head back and started cackling louder than I'd expected making me flinch a little before looking up to see the group in front of us looking at us like we were crazy. I really don't blame them.

I nudged her a little, my nerves not being able to take much more attention. She wiped some tears out of her eyes and took a few deep breaths still letting out small giggles between breaths. "I'm-uh-I_I'm sorry, it's just. I mean. Duh! You're at Reynier, of course you're smart." I shrugged and smiled a little as she pushed me to one side. Look Harry, you're making friends. Yeah. I think I am making friends. Once she was completely sobered up, she started back up again. "No, but really, how did you get here?" I took a deep breath, preparing myself to give my life story. "Well, I mean genuinely I just applied, and they said yes? I'm not totally sure." My wrist seemed very itchy again. "Huh, so what does your family run? Everyone here knows each other for the most part the family business affairs. Is you company new?" She asked innocently. If only she knew. She didn't mean to hurt your feelings Harry. Fuk your feelings Harry! Man the fuck up! I shook my head in response. "I, um, I don't have a family. I'm actually from an orphanage in Cheshire. Kendall's mouth opened in a large 'O', as she realized her big mistake.

"Kendall, it's ok, you didn't know." I said before she could start rambling off apologies. "No it's not! Harry, seriously, I am so sorry." I laughed a bit, surprising Kendall a bit. It's laugh or cry sweetheart. Laugh or cry. She stared at me as I ran a hand through my hair a smile still on my face. "Kendall, like I said, it's really fine. It's been like 5 years now. It is what it is, you know?" She nodded agreeing lightly, guilt still ripe on her face. I hadn't really been able to take in her features; her hair was strikingly dark against her pale skin, and her brown eyes were dark and muddy with sparks of green and amber shining through. She was really pretty, but I hope she doesn't get the wrong idea; she's not exactly my type.