She's Not Me {Short Thriller Story}

TRIGGER WARNINGS; horror, thriller, doppelganger, supernatural themes.

Her breathing got heavier as she ran through the dense woods. Heart thumping wildly against her rib cage. Her throat burning. Her lungs felt like they were on fire. Her muscles in her legs aching as she ran harder. The branches on the trees and bushes scratching her skin. She let out a whimper. She could hear her heart thumping in her ears, as she ran faster, she felt relief wash over her as she broke out of the tree line. Seeing a familiar house up on the line of the horizon.

She quickly bolted as best as she could to the house. Smiling happily, but she suddenly stopped in her tracks, dread washed over her. It felt like her heart was stuck in her throat. She gulped rapidly, but there was still a lump in her throat. Her stomach turned. She felt like she was going to be sick. The palms of her hands got all clammy. She felt a cold chill run down her skin. The hairs on her nape and arms rising. As she looked at the familiar figure that was on the other side of the window. It may have looked like her, but it wasn't.

She felt her heart stop. Her breath hitching as the figure that looked like her looked up. A wicked smile gracing its mouth. Eyes burning with darkness.