The day I died

I clearly remember that morning, the soft gentle breeze, the clear skies, the smell of damp earth just after a rain, the barking of the dog from the next compound. I remember smiling while taking it all in when he called me.

It was quite odd for him to be up this early so I was startled when I heard him bellow.

"Ada, Ada" he shouted from within the house.

I rushed from the balcony where I was, upset that he had shortened my morning ritual but scared to annoy him, the two year old scar on my forehead a reminder of what could happen if he got angry.

'Good morning Papa Amaka, what can I do for you?' I asked him.

'Get me a glass of water'

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him and walked towards the kitchen.

I got the water and gave it to him.

I remember waking the children and the displeasure on their face till I reminded them their favorite cartoon, Teen Titan Go was about to begin and the way their faces lit up and their expression transitioned to glee. I remember preparing their breakfast, Pap and Akara, a national Saturday morning breakfast.

I remember the conversation I had with my housekeeper after I let her in, she talked about her daughter who just got her JAMB result and how everyone was happy she passed but worried that she would have to wait for her brother to finish as they could not train them both at once. 

I remember thinking about my privilege and having never experienced that uncertainty about my education and future. I made a mental note to talk to Ebuka, my husband about taking on the responsibility of paying the fees for her daughter.

I remember the traffic while going to the market to pick up a new wig, a bag and a shoe for a wedding I had to attend the following weekend

I remember laughing at the shop attendant's joke while making the payment on my purchases. I remember jokingly telling the shop owner that she robbed me as I had ended up buying more items than I needed and spending four times over my budget.

I remember cursing the city, the governor, the president, the universe, because the traffic was twice as long and the sun twice as hot while I was driving home.

I remember getting to our estate and stopping at Nkechi's place to do amebo . As I barely went out, she was the supplier of all my news and happenings amongst our friends and acquaintances.

'Did you know that Ene is getting married and Titi is pregnant again?'  she said the moment I sat down

'Nkechi ha, you haven't even offered me water or a glass of juice. Don't you know it's hot out there? asịrị na-amasị gị '

'See you talking like you don't like to hear it, isn't that why you came?' she replied

'At least get me water or juice, preferably pineapple to cool down'

I remember being thankful for the friends I had especially Nkechi, and reminiscing about all we had been through together since I met her in my first year in the university as I drove home from her place 2 cocktails later.

I remember calling my parents because the kids wanted to talk to their Grandma and Grandpa. They promised to visit soon and bring gifts.

I remember asking my father about his bad knee and inquiring if he was taking his drugs and asking my mom if she was eating well because I knew she fasted a lot and if she had stopped taking those 'cleansers' and herbal drugs she took and swore by but I had read somewhere that they could do a number on the liver.

I remember coming home to see my husband comfortably seated on the couch and watching the premier league matches that were showing. His loud jubilation when the club he was supporting scored and his groans of displeasure when they missed a goal or rival team scored.

I remember having an early dinner prepared by the housekeeper with my family and my husband going out for drinks with his guys.

I remember tucking the kids into bed and watching some of my favorite soap operas and eventually settling down to read a short story by one of my favorite authors that had just arrived the previous day.

I remember my husband coming home around midnight reeking of alcohol and cheap perfume, his shirt untucked and steps unsteady.

I remember asking him to quiet down so he wouldn't wake the children and my flippant remark about the lady he had been with.

I remember his fists connecting with my face, abdomen, back wherever it could land.

I remember the first and second time he hit me and felt like I could survive it this time, the third time.

I remember him pushing me, the cracking sound as my skull made impact with the wall, the feel of warm blood trickling down my face.

I remember feeling intense pain as I got weaker and weaker till I could feel no more till I could remember no more.

I remember clearly, the day I died.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: Gender-based violence has been one of the leading causes of death for women around the world and I intend to use this short story to create awareness. I hope you like it and you help speak up against GBV in your communities too

Chapter two will be up next week.

Pap - a custard-like meal made from corn or millet

Akara- a local Nigerian delicacy made from beans, grinded and made into a paste then fried. sometimes called Beancake

Amebo- Gossip

Asịrị na-amasị gị(igbo)- you like to gossip