seven

chapter seven
"heartbeat"

chapter seven"heartbeat"

      "SHIT."

LYNN CRINGED UP HER face pathetically as she stubbed her toe — thankfully one on the non-injured leg, on the wooden leg of the coffee table in her living room. It was now beyond dark, and way beyond the time she promised her mother she would be home by. She hoped Katherine had already gone to sleep, that by sneaking in her mother would wake in the morning and and see Lynn had been in her room all along.

It was a terrible plan, yes, but a girl can hope, right?

"So, is this going to become a regular thing?"

Lynn froze in her footsteps as she squeezed her eyelids shut, and clicked her tongue on the roof of her tongue. She spun on her heels and flashed her mother a sympathetic half grin, biting down on her bottom lip. Katherine had just switched on the tall lamp that sat newly in the living room, the woman was planted on the couch, all comfortable looking, but a very disappointed look stretched on her face.

"Hi, mom," Lynn said in the sweetest and softest voice she could muster up.

"Hello there, Evelynn Brielle," Katherine replied, and she returned that exact fake smile back towards Lynn. Oh boy...I just know I'm in trouble when she brings out the whole name.

"How was your—"

"—Where have you been?" Katherine interrupted, and Lynn knew by her tone of voice, she wasn't messing around anymore. "Gone all day? Not a single call or text as to where you've been? Are you serious, Evelynn?"

"Look, mom, I know—"

"—No, you don't know," Katherine snapped, and Lynn's back stiffened out by the sudden harshness that flooded her voice. "I was worried sick, Lynn, God, I didn't know if somehow hunters got to you if something happened and you got yourself hurt — is that blood?"

Lynn gazed down to where her mother had pointed towards, and it was the wound on her calf. The cuts had started to heal, and were about halfway done already, but there was still blood littering the bottom half of her sticky wet jeans.

"It was an accident, I swear, I'm totally fine now," Lynn shook her head, and her eyes wandered down to avoid her mother's. "Mom, I'm sorry I didn't call or text. You won't believe it, really. The Coach at the lacrosse game called me in and I played and, me, they offered me a spot."

"Evelynn, what have I told you about sports and extracurriculars? How if you show your—"

"—Abilities, it could make me vulnerable. I know, I know, I've heard it about a hundred times," Lynn shouted out, not meaning to sound as snappy as she did, but her patience was ruining low. "Mom, when do we draw the line? Where is the difference between surviving and living!? We have been surviving for as long as I can remember, when do I finally get to be teenager? Just a regular, normal teenager."