CHAPTER ONE: THE ENCOUNTER

I stumble through the doors of the last building at my new university. I am running very late to class; it is barely my first day, definitely not on my way to becoming the next star student. I run out of breath and realize that I have stopped right beside my first class.

I catch my breath and try to steady myself before pushing the door open. I'm met with about twenty pairs of eyes as I enter and stand in embarrassment. The professor stops writing over the chalkboard and turns to look at me; he's older and dons a pair of thick round glasses.

I smile timidly. He takes a look at the stack of papers on his desk and runs his finger down what I am assuming is the roster.

"Hanna Miller, correct?" he asks, clearly un-amused by my tardiness.

I nod. The professor starts to scan the room and points me to an open seat in the back of the room. I hastily head to my assigned seating and settle myself down; next to me is a girl with tan skin, jet-black hair, and enormous green eyes. I give her a small smile; she examines me from head to toe and smirks.

I turn to face the front of the room and ignore her. Wow, this is really starting to become a dream first day, I thought. I try my best to focus on the lesson, though it feels like it's dragging on and on.

By lunch, I begin to consider leaving early, I know it's barely my first day here, and I have not even given the school a chance. I'm just not adapting to school as quickly as I'd like. It's been a while since I've been at a school. Since the accident almost a year ago, I have mostly stayed home. My aunt was quick to take me in, seeing as I've had nowhere to go.

It was sweet of her, and I appreciate it; I've had a rough last year, but I am turning a new leaf by coming back to school and making sure I make my parents proud by getting my degree in English Literature.

I make my way towards the entrance of the school; I am in dire need of some caffeine and a muffin. I quickly look into Google maps for the nearest coffee shop when I feel a shadow cast over me. I look up from my phone where my eyes meet a pair of beautiful violet eyes. Ohmygod!

"C-can I help you with something?" I stutter, immersed in his handsomeness. He shakes his head, his mouth set in a firm line. I turn to look around, wondering how awkward this must be looking. "You need to come with me, Hanna," he says, pulling me away in a single move. I fight to slip my arm out of his grip, screaming for help. "Let me go, creep!" I yell. "No, you're coming with me. Now!" he responds.

Throwing me inside the back of an old black truck. I keep screaming and trying to get myself out of this damned car. I do not succeed.

***

He has had my hands tied behind my back for over an hour now. I have tried to escape numerous times within the time frame, which is what actually led to him tying my hands behind my back in the first place.

He has had my hands tied behind my back for over an hour now. I have tried to escape numerous times within the time frame, which is what led to him tying my hands behind my back in the first place. He has been standing outside the truck the whole time; he seems to be waiting for someone. I am beginning to grow anxious as it's growing dark, and we seem to be on a hillside.

He turns to get back in the car and looks at me through the rearview mirror, a certain softness within his eyes.

He looks melancholic, and I am perplexed. I don't understand what his intentions are. The last words he spoke to me were the ones before his sudden kidnapping.

"What do you want with me?" I ask.

"We're waiting for someone" he replies coldly, not planning to give anything away. I try my best to keep my cool and ask, "Can I ask for who are we waiting for?" my voice is small and faint, coming out almost unrecognizable to me. He turns to face me; his brows furrow, and I fear that I've upset him. His eyes look down at a wedding ring on his finger that I hadn't yet seen. "Are you married?" I ask, before realizing the words that have just come out of my mouth.