14 - Prey

It wasn't long before I was shaken awake. Maeldok must have stayed up most of the night, because I never actually saw him lying down.

At least he kept watch for Ska'al.

As we made our way out of the mountains, the trees grew thinner and we came alongside the great western road that snaked back behind us, leading eventually into the Corvelen Lowlands. The road led ahead, north towards Aelridia, to meet three others at the Crossroads, aptly named such. Andrin had always said the Corvel weren't the most creative bunch.

With the sun high overhead, the dusty road wrapped around a hill, finally opening up into a large clearing.

"The Crossroads," I breathed, letting out a deep sigh. "Our meeting place isn't far now, just down the southeastern branch and into a clearing near the river."

The clearing was large and dusty, the product of decades of traffic on unpaved roads. Having been this way once before, I knew that farther north the roads were cobbled, then paved as Aelridia grew closer. The last time there were swarms of people going this same way to Aelridia, and my friends and I had blended right in with the crowd. Now, there were a few other travelers crossing paths, but perhaps it was still too early—there was just the odd farmer or trader driving their carts, peering at the signs to point them on their way. Tallion stepped around the bend confidently, but as I went to follow, Maeldok took my arm.

"Solace, we will need to part ways for a short time. The road ahead to Aelridia leads through Yeandol—the Corvel Guard will likely have a presence there." He scanned the travelers ahead before turning back to me. "Though I think it foolish to make for the capital, no one wishes for your success more than I. If Yeandol has any signs of a Ska'al occupation or an informant, I will turn you away from the town to pass by another way."

Tallion, irritated at the delay, trotted back over. "We'll blend in with everybody else as soon we get on the main roads, the Corvel Guard won't be an issue. You can be as cautious as you want, I'm sure we'll be fine either way." Tallion shrugged, gave us self-assured smile, and turned on her heel.

I was more hesitant. "You really think splitting up is the best idea? What happened to teaching me to control my magic?"

"Our time apart will be brief, whether there is significant danger or not. Continue immersing yourself in the currents and they will begin to bend at your command."

A hurried instruction where to meet him later and he was gone, his cloak swishing up the northwest path. Tallion was already waiting for me, and I didn't have any other choice than to lead the way down the southeast one.

"So Sedris... what will your friends think of me? And him, for that matter?" Tallion tossed a lock of red hair over her shoulder as she gestured back down the path. "I'm still not sure what to think with him. I've never seen someone gut a Ska'al and live that long to tell about it."

"You will today. We're going to save Andrin and he can tell you about it himself."

She raised an eyebrow, impressed, then sobered. "So you think they'll want to go after Rune?"

"They will." I wasn't sure, but they couldn't just turn Tallion down, could they?

"Because of your Bond?"

"...Lylisia. Her name is Lylisia. We call her Lill."

She nodded and shoved her hands in her pockets. "Was it a Ska'al? Who did it?"

I just shrugged, blinking back tears.

"Whoever it was, we'll help you find him, me and Rune. I know it's a long list of friends to save and people to kill, but four Animaré is a lot of firepower at your back." She nudged me with an elbow and gave me a half smile. Freckles dotted her cheeks.