'Twas the Night Before Christmas

It's Christmas eve and I have moved to Hollow Oak. Not a massive town, one main street with a convenience store, restaurant, and a hardware store. My dad moved here for the development they are planning; he is an architect. My mum and I came along, because well, we had to. Most of the buildings are single storey and stretches of fields surround the downtown area. It is a far cry from the busy built-up City we used to live in.

As it is still new, we are living and eating out of boxes. Being away from family we know Christmas is never going to the same, but my parents are trying to make it the best they can. My mother is frantically searching through the many boxes. Not concerned with our winter clothes or bedding, she is hell-bent on finding the decorations. The tree, wreaths, tinsel whatever glittery nightmare she can find, is being pulled from its box and thrown across our new living space.

At least it is a little reminder of back home, something old in our something new. In comparison to the rest of the street our house is pretty bare on the outside, no doubt the local decoration police will be knocking, reminding us of our duties.

Having had no time to make friends, I have been forced on the girl next door by my parents. I need to get out, and mingle apparently. A boy of my age shouldn't be cooped up indoors when there was fun to be had. After a couple of hours into moving, the girl next door, Chrissy, invited me to a party. It is going to consist of her, her jock boyfriend, Chad, and some of his friends. People from my new school I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet, not sure I am looking forward to the event either.

Sitting and watching Christmas throw up over my house interior, I hear the beep of a car. I bid my family farewell, walk outside down the porch, and meet with Chrissy at the bottom. She smiles politely and gestures for me to follow her to the car. I don't remember feeling this nervous before, but I do and it must be obvious, as Chrissy says,

"It's ok. It will be fine." She gives me a reassuring look, turns and walks to the car.

Chad is in the driver's seat, the front passenger seat is left free for Chrissy, shotgun didn't apply here. In the back, there are two other guys and a girl, no doubt she belongs to one of them. Your typical cheer leader type, blonde loud and sounds like an airhead. Her shriek of a laugh could cut through the thick ice on the road. The three of them in the back shuffle up and make just enough space for me, I awkwardly smile and open the door. Chrissy walks around the front of the car looking at Chad the whole time, before slowly and seductively opening the car door and sliding herself in.

Popping my head in first, I want to observe the confined. I make eye contact with the guy I need to sit next to and we both share a customary "Hey." Throwing my left leg in first, I delicately slide into the seat and close the door behind me. An awkward shift follows as the guy next to me and I attempt to get comfortable.

"Everyone ready?" Chad asks, turning the key to start the engine.

The car roars into life as the engine kicks back, the chassis vibrating under my body. We move down the street, passing a couple of blocks. The speed is quite reserved, and I am feeling relaxed, no one has said a word. It must be safe enough at this point as myself and the others are thrust into the back of the seat, the speed increasing quickly. A scream comes from Chrissy's mouth as she kicks her legs up onto the dashboard. The three next to me throw their arms up in the air and shout into the roof of the car. My hand reaches straight for the rest fixed to the roof above me, the other onto the door handle next to me. The car swerves and manoeuvres around several corners before we are a safe distance from our street. Then as quickly as the car sped up, it slows right the way down. I am able to allow the blood to return to my hands and release my grip from the various handles in the car.