~ONE~

~•°~•°~•°~•°~
"There's only one way to get through some things: together."
                   ~•°~•°~•°~•°~

                        ¶ BOLU¶

“Put your hands together for our SSS3 students who just returned from their GCE exams,” Mrs. Oyewole, the Principal of our prestigious school−River Brook Academy, told the students on the assembly.

The whole assembly went wild with cheers shocking most of us, me included. From the history of River Brook, juniors are never always this happy to see their seniors return, guess we are really loved by them or they were just whining.
“Bolu is it just me or are our juniors just too happy to see us?” Joy-Anne asked from beside me.

“I know, right. It’s so weird,” I replied with a knowing nod.

As you, Dear Readers, would have noticed, today was the first day of SSS3 resumption. No, we didn’t resume with other students on the original day because of our just concluded GCE. Yes, our school made it really compulsory for every student who was done with SSS2 to write GCE, even though it’s for private candidates, for people who are already out of secondary school.

Suffice to say though, that it was kinda a walk over due to the intense preparation given to us by our teachers and then us burning the midnight candle to the end− well, most of us… I think?

Currently, the SSS3s were standing in front of the whole assembly hall because we were asked to come out, despite our very dense population in River Brook Academy.

Joy-Anne Folarin, an average-height, light-skinned girl, was right beside me. She was one of those girls in my set who I was good friends with. Of course, I had a best friend, but right now, she’s gone MIA. I saw her in school this morning before assembly but only God knows where she is now. Wait sef, she isn’t the only one missing in action. I know I saw Ninuola, my other friend, we even greeted this morning. Come to think of it, a whole lot of my classmates are missing right now. Where the heck did they go?

Suddenly, the voice of the principal caught my attention or maybe what the principal said. “As we all know, today is the day we announce the prefects for this set.” The whole assembly went wild with cheers again as she announced that. “Okay, thanks for the applause, it’s really encouraging. As I was saying, the prefects for this set will be announced today. These people have shown that they have what it takes to be in the various posts that they will be placed and I want y’all to know that they must be respected because, they are the second-in-command of the school, am I understood?”

“Yes ma!” They all chorused.

“Good. With that being said, let’s get to business.”

Mr. Ogunjobi, the vice principal, whispered something into her ears as she stepped down from the podium and handed him the Mic.

Nawa o, these people should do quick na, it’s like we have spent hundred hours on the assembly today,” Joy-Anne said resting her head on my shoulder.

I chuckled in response. It’s not like I wasn’t tired of standing here too but I really wanted to know who the prefects were ‘cause the school authority really made a big fuss over our set, knowing that most of us were extremely smart and capable of every single prefect post.

Mr. Ogunjobi climbed the podium and cleared his throat. “Getting straight to business, we start with the environmental prefect girl and boy; Tomilola Abraham and Julius Ogechi.”

There was a huge round of applause from our juniors and us as they both walked out of an unknown room and to the front of the hall and then stood beside each other, away from us.