An Ideal World

—————

The first thing Shoto realized when he woke up was that it was Christmas. His favorite time of the year. A day with presents, food, his siblings and mother. And best of all, reminder that his father was gone for good.

Frost covered the edges of his window and he could see the light snowfall outside, covering the ground with white. Shoto got out of bed faster than normal and changed into comfortable clothes, including a red scarf he got a few Christmases back. 

The scarf was plain. The entire wool piece was a simple shade of dark red with fringes at both ends. The was nothing remarkably special about it, but to Shoto, it was everything. Having it wrapped around his neck gave him a sense of security.

At that moment, the door to his room slid open, showing the face of his older brother, Touya. A large amount of wrapped bandages loosely hung off his arms, but what caught Shoto's attention was the goofy-looking elf hat on top of his brother's red hair.

"Shoto!" Touya sang. A radiant, overpowering positive energy filled the room. "Merry Christmas!"

A small smile tugged at Shoto's lips as Touya escaped from the doorway. He made sure the scarf was wrapped securely around his neck and he left to join his family at breakfast.

The smell of delicious food was spreading around the house, one that Shoto knew and waited for year-round. He took a seat at the table and immediately reached for a plate of cold soba with a little dish of dipping sauce on the side.

"No matter what you'll always go for the cold soba, even in the winter," Fuyumi laughed lightheartedly. "I think Mom bought a more expensive kind specially for today."

Shoto chewed the noodles with a delighted expression on his face. "It's good."

"I'm glad," Rei said with relief. "But make sure to eat other foods as well, I think me and Fuyumi went a little overboard today."

"I don't think I've ever seen Shoto so happy before," Touya commented. "But then again, I'm never really around anymore, am I?"

"It must be hard having to work on most holidays," Fuyumi said. "I can't even imagine..."

"If it makes you feel better I'm always swamped with college work." Natsuo said to try and save the mood. 

Even in that attempt, Shoto felt a little bit down. After his father left, he thought he would get more time with his family and fix the bonds that he couldn't make when he was younger. 

But even so, Touya and Fuyumi were adults by that time, and when Natsuo went off to college, the only person he could spend a lot of time with was his mother. It wasn't like Shoto didn't want to spend time with her, but even she had work to do.

With Christmas though, everybody could get together again, even with Touya's job which caused him to work over holidays and gatherings his family hosted. Shoto always looked forward to seeing his older brother, as he was the one he could spend the least time with.

"I'm fine guys," Touya stated. He spread out his arms. "Look, I'm here now, aren't I? It's Christmas, let's just focus on that for now. And speaking of Christmas, let's open presents now!"

"You're even more of a kid than Shoto is," Natsuo laughed, sitting up from his chair. He grabbed his dirty plates and placed them in the sink carefully. "But yeah, it seems like you brought a ton of presents."

"What can I say? It's a good paying job," Touya put his plates away as well. He then went over to Shoto and ruffled his little brother's hair. "I also bought some stuff for you U.A. buddies. Tell them it's from your awesome older brother, okay?"