Lavender Sweatshirts and Large Uniforms

I could feel his breath on my face as his body pressed me against the wall of lockers. We were centimeters away. If I leaned in only slightly are lips would've touched. Classes had begun a while ago. The only reason I was trapped now was that I was incredibly late.

"Let's play a game." His voice was low and sultry. As he uttered the four words that started every cliche Wattpad story ever, I rolled my eyes.

"Why would you want to play a game you know you'll lose?" I quip back. The quiver in my voice gave away my fear hid behind confident words.

"Come to my party, new kid. Let me show you the game," He whispered into my ear, his lips brushing my ear. He nipped my ear lobe after the demand.

"Why?" My face flushed red at the feeling of his breath on my skin.

"Because I want to have some fun with you. Once I get what I want from you, which is purely your total embarrassment and to confuse you of what you want, I'll leave you be." He paused for a moment, looking me up and down. "Because right now, your body wants me to never leave, and your mind wants me as far away as possible." His hand grabbed my shoulder to press me harder into the wall.

"N-no, it doesn't." I stumbled over my words.

"So you're telling me if I kissed you right now, you'd feel no attraction whatsoever?" He pulled back, allowing me to in all of him. His uniform pants were khakis. The dark blue sweater over his long sleeve collared shirt was embroidered with the school's crest. The shirt was rolled up to his elbow showing on one side a tattoo sleeve. Tattoos also crept up from the collar of his shirt.

"None." I breathed out.

He leaned in, and I closed my eyes in anticipation for his lips on mine. Then the bell rang in a shrill tone, making him pull away.

"Guess it's your lucky day then. I'll get someone to give you my address so you can come to the party tonight." And with that, he disappeared into the sea of boys.

I felt heart palpitations beginning. The thought of escorting myself to the nurse crossed my mind. Maybe if I faked sick, they would let me leave.

I stood there looking dumbfounded. Who was that guy? And what gave him the right to act that way? I knew I would probably not be able to find the answers standing in the hallway.

I pushed my way through the hall, making my way to the office. I may or may not have been on the verge of a panic attack. As I opened the door, a lovely woman looked my way. Her smile was soft and appeared to be genuine. Her hair was in braids, and her lips were painted red. The red that tinted her lips was also the same shade that appeared on her glasses.

"Do you need help?" She asked, looking me over. I wasn't in the uniform that was on everyone else, and she noticed. On her desk was a name-plate that said "Mrs. Katherine Howard" in cursive letters.

"H-hi, Mrs. Howard I-I'm Finn Green. I-its, uh t-today's my first day." I hated talking to adults. I tripped over the words I tried to say every time I spoke to an adult. Unless I had formed a relationship with them.

The smile never left her face as she replied. "I wondered why you weren't even uniform. Glad I don't have to give out a dress code violation." She laughed to punctuate her sentence.

I chuckled softly as well. I'm sure it wasn't every day a 5 foot 5 kid walked into her office in a lavender-colored sweatshirt, black jeans, and worn out vans.

"Well, we can get you fitted for a uniform Monday. We have some extras in the back. You can pay the sizing fee and uniform cost today if you'd like," Mrs. Howard sweetly said. She stood up from the chair she'd been sitting at behind her desk. She opened the door behind her, disappearing into what I assumed was the previously mentioned back.

I felt my heart clench at the mention of extra expenses. I would be eating only ramen once a week for a month to afford that after I had just emptied out my bank account to pay the tuition. 

"A-and how, um, how much would that be?" I asked, hoping she couldn't hear the poorness in my voice.

"Oh, not that much is 250 for the uniform sets and an additional 50 for the sizing," Mrs. Howard answered as she emerged from the room, holding a box of old uniforms. Set them on the table in the middle of the room. "Seems like the smallest we have is a large."

I was not a size large. I was a small, poor kid who was freaking out over the 300 dollar fee that had just been presented to me as though it was 3 dollars. "O-okay, can I write you t-the check tomorrow?" I asked. I would have to see if I could scrape together enough. I didn't want to get charged with an overdraft fee when they cashed the check and found only 150 dollars in the account. Thank god it was pay-day today.

"Sure! Or if you'd rather put it on a card, we have the swipey thing," She offered this second option, but I didn't use credit cards.

"Check is f-fine." Just don't cash it for a month. I added silently in my head.

Mrs. Howard pulled out a neatly folded stack of clothes, a dark blue polo with the school crest on the left side, along with a pair of khakis. "Here you go," She handed them to me. "We have some paperwork for you. Simple things, the handbook, medical forms, that stuff."

I held the uniform in my arms as she went to fetch the paperwork. I hoped the medical forms didn't ask for parent contact info.

Mrs. Howard came back with a small stack of papers. She handed them to me. I set the uniform down on the table with the box of uniforms. I opened my bag and placed the documents into one of the folders I had, leaving out my class schedule.

"The bathroom is across the hall. You can change and then head to your first period. Luckily you've only missed homeroom." Mrs. Howard smiled as she settled back into her desk chair.

"T-thank you," I say. Being treated kindly after being practically assaulted was a nice change of pace.

I grabbed my schedule before I made my way to the restroom. I locked myself in one of the stalls to change. The shirt was so big that I had to roll the sleeves up twice to get them to sit at my wrists. The pants, as I expected, were too big and needed to be cuffed. I sighed and shoved my clothes into my bag.

I checked my schedule to find out my first class. The first period I'm in is AP Government in room 222, a lovely way to start the day. I checked for room number 222.

I knocked on the door to be greeted by a teacher in his late twenties. He wore a green and grey sweater vest over a dark shirt. His hair was auburn with blonde highlights.

"S-sorry, I'm late," I told him.

He responded by saying, "Well, you're new, so I guess I'll give you a pass." He laughed as though he had just told a joke. "Welcome to AP Government. I'm Mr. Martin." As he introduced himself, he opened the door wider.

I looked at the class, and unattentive, uninterested faces stared back at me. My eyes fell on one guy in the back row. The same face that not ten minutes ago had my heart racing. The guy just smirked back at my stunned expression.

Welcome to my writing! I hope you enjoyed it.