Prologue--Call Me Steven

Prologue

"Call me Ishmael".

No, not really. My name is Steven, but "Call me Steven" doesn't quite have the same effect. "Moby Dick" was, no is, Tristan's favorite book. He always said it was the best and worst book he ever read. He used to like to read the last part to us, the part where Moby Dick destroys the whaler, and even though the sailors know they are doomed, they allow Ahab to beckon them on in pursuit of the great white whale. In the end, when the ship and all the boats are destroyed, and the sailors killed, Ishmael survives thanks to Queequeg's coffin.

Meeting Tristan was accidental, fortuitous, he saved my life but it was how he saved my life that changed the course of it. Tristan was, no is, a vampire. And in turning me into one saved me from dying, literally.

I did not believe in vampires, I didn't believe in anything supernatural, but since that night I've learned that a lot of things I thought were not possible are real, very real, maybe even too real.

Tristan, Isolde, Claude, and Fabi are my family now. I'd give my life to protect them, gladly, for they have given me so much more.

Tristan and Isolde are on the run from Rainer the German vampire. and Claude, Fabi, and  I, on Tristan's instructions, are following Rainer. If we find him, we are to destroy him.  Nothing will give me more pleasure, that little Hun is doomed if we catch him.

Tristan is a survivor, just like Ishmael in Moby Dick. That's why I don't believe he and Isolde are dead. Tristan would never give up on living and he'd never let Isolde die.