Gone

It was a rare occurance, but every now and again, momma was just gone. Epione would search their small house and find her mother nowhere. Epione loved momma. Dearly. However, when these nights came, glee always followed. No strict rules to follow. One less person to impress. Although, Epione did love to impress! She immediately rushed into her room. Turned the lights on, and jumped into bed. Texting Jess to let her know she was free for the whole night. When momma was gone, she was gone for a while. One time she didn't come home for almost a week, and Epione didn't plan on wasting one second. So when Jess told Epione there was a party at the Laurence's house tonight, she burst into action. It was a dance she knew all too well. Getting ready was an art she had perfected. She hardly even had to look at her closet before she had the perfect outfit. There was only ever one problem. When she had everything else done, she had to do her makeup. Her energy slowed as she approached her vanity. Sitting down before it and taking a moment to breathe. She quickly ripped the curtain off of the mirror. Looking at her face for only a moment before starting. Before she knew it, she was done. Epione's face was now okay enough for her to look at. Her overly pale skin looked a bit more alive. Her eyebrows thinned. Lips thickened. Gaunt cheeks filled out. She looked normal. She looked pretty. She looked perfect. Her thoughts were interrupted by the opening of a door. Her eyes shot to the hallways outside her room. Aminon's door was wide open. No light coming from it. The only lights Aminon ever had in her room were faerie lights that were a dark faint blue. Epione never understood Aminon's obsession with the dark. Why hide under shadows when you can soak up the sun? Not literally of course. The sun gives you wrinkles, and Epione couldn't have that. She arose from her vanity. Patting down her distended yellow dress. It provided her a new body figure that hid her true one. Aminon ducked her head into Epione's room. Scowling a bit at Epione's over the top look. "Could you be any louder? What are you even doing?" Aminon complained. Epione grinned as her eyelids lowered. She sensed a challenge. "Oh, just getting ready for a party at the Laurence's." Epione said seemingly as if it were nothing. As if parties were no big deal. She turned to pretend to touch up her makeup. Eyeing Aminon with her mirror. Aminon made that stupid "you killed my puppy" face she always did. "You wouldn't want to come, would you?" Epione turned to her sister again. Mischievously tempting her. "Mother dearest would kill me. I hate parties anyways." Aminon crossed her arms. Rolling her eyes. She did hate parties. They were stupid displays of temporal power. Yet... she felt a bit left out that she never was wanted at parties, and it showed. Epione was enjoying this game of wits. "Momma isn't here! She's gone again. Come on! It will be fun!" Epione tried again to lure Aminon in. Putting her hands on her hips and leaning forward. Aminon perked up a bit when she heard of mother's disappearance. Yet, "Oh okay Epione, I guess I will go to a party with you! Then you and your forked tongued, bitch friends can make fun of me. Maybe I'll get a whole beer poured on me like last time!" Aminon's sarcasm bit back at Epione. Her words laced with hurt, but, she did take one more step into Epione's room. It was working. "I'm sorry if we hurt your feelings last time, but we were only playing! Won't happen again. Honest." Epione's voice was convincingly apologetic, as she averted her eyes to look mournful. Aminon seemed a bit surprised at the apology. Looking down for a moment and cradling her arms. "I don't know..." Now for the kill. Epione stepped closer to Aminon. Circling her playfully. "It'll be great Aminon. Everyone will be there! Cheryl, Meg.... Peter." Epione giggled a bit as she teased the last name. Aminon looked up. Terrible at hiding her emotions. "Peter will be there?" She stuttered. Epione leaned in. "He will." Aminon crossed her arms firmly. Rolling her eyes and groaning. Before finally responding with an annoyed, "Okay." Epione pounced. Claiming her victory triumphantly. She always won! She grabbed Aminon and sat her down at her vanity. Aminon started to protest and squirm. Surprised at the harsh treatment. Epione wasn't having any of it. Brushing and straightening her sister's hair, doing her makeup and picking her out a nice blue dress. It was an older one Epione couldn't wear anymore, too big for her now, but that just made it perfect for Aminon's... form. Epione giddily forced Aminon to look at herself. Peering over her sister's shoulders with a smile. Aminon looked at her own face as if it were a stranger. Her features softened after a moment as she smiled. Epione 3, Aminon 0! "You like it?" Epione asked, already knowing the answer. "I... Yeah..." Aminon sounded bashful and sweet. How cute. Epione wasted no time. "Alrighty, well let's get going. Can't be late!" She hummed. Grabbing her things quickly. She bounced her way to the door, but stopped when she saw a vulnerable Aminon still sitting at her vanity, looking up at her earnestly. "Epione... I just wanted to say thanks. I know we don't spend as much time together as we used to, but this is just... nice." Aminon's words falling out as if she weren't satisfied with them. Epione slowed down for a moment and looked at Aminon as a person for a moment. Instead of a trophy. Aminon was right. Often Epione valued status over her relationship with her sister. She would be hurt at the comment Aminon made earlier about Epione being a snake, but she wasn't wrong. Epione did anything to win. To an extent, that made her a bad person. Epione knew this. She just couldn't fix it, and she hated herself for it. This was the first time in weeks Aminon and her had even had a normal conversation. Even now Epione was doing all of this to win, not because she wanted Aminon to go with her. She was changing that. No matter what happened tonight, Aminon was going to have a great time. That was Epione's goal. And she always achieved her goals. Her features softened a bit. Her face relaxing into a natural, real emotion. "If you ever want to do this again, just ask." The offering sweet and genuine. Aminon immediately accepted Epione's words. Sensing the amount of thought she had put into them. Maybe tonight would be different. They jumped out the door to their ride. Screaming the words of pop songs Epione knew by heart, and Aminon learned by ear.