SIGHT

A young woman in her late twenties stood in front of the mirror looking at the blood spattered around her. Brown eyes continuously darted around trying to make sense ofwhat was happening. The flashing lights of red and blue and the sirens incoming fromthe distance told her to scram. But the woman stood still, even if the banging on the door and demands of the police echoed from outside. Turning around, an unbothered sigh escaped her small mouth. Approaching the body that laid in front of her she took the knife that was held in her hand and stabbed it once again. Not knowing why this feeling of being completed resonated in her soul.

Adora woke up startled. This happened every night, the flashes, the faint sound of sirens still ringing in her ear. The stench of blood. "Paging Dr. Clay!" the speaker'srusty voice echoed in the hall. Adora looked at the gloves that covered her hands and the paperwork on her desk. She was a doctor. The woman jolted upright, a shock of electricity running through her body. She quickly grabbed her white coat and wrapped it around herself, disregarding the paperwork.

"Mira!" Adora yelled in the narrow hallway, trying to grab her friend's attention. "Mira!" The tanned woman turned around with a grin as she held out a clipboard and a pen."Did you sleep here again? You know that's slowly killing your back." The woman popped another bubble of her favorite pink bubblegum. Adora glanced out the window.Night had fallen, it was pitch black and there was no moon out tonight. "Maybe?"Adora echoed. Grinning sheepishly, she reached for the pen only for Mira to pull it away from her.

"How about this." Mira smiled. "I take on your shift while you go home and shower, maybe go on a cute last minute date. Hyde has been saying you're not home anymore! And as payment, you can buy me dinner!" Adora scowled as she tried to reach for thepen once more. "Trust me on this one. You stink." to put emphasis on the phrase Mira waved her hand in front of her nose. "Childish." Adora mumbled. The woman hesitated before shrugging off her coat and shoving the material into Mira's arms, only pausing for a moment. "Whatever I'll go home. And please don't fuck up this case." Her eyes wondering anywhere other than her friend's face.

With a final squeal from her best friend and an unnecessary squeeze, Adora threw her surgical gloves into the nearest bin and took out her keys from her pocket. Swinging them around her finger, the clinking of the metal almost did nothing to bring comfort. Adora opened the car door and slammed it shut. Placing the keys in the ignition and turned it. She rubbed her hands across the leather wheel, waiting for the heat tospread to the rest of her car. The rumble of the car's engine brought comfort as she reached to grab the rear view mirror. Twisting it so she could see what's behind her asshe drove. The reflection in the mirror flashed as a body laid in the back seat, sitting in some plastic with the blood flowing down the Italian leather.

"WHAT THE!" The woman turned in her seat, flashing on the light on, only for no one tobe there. The body was gone, there were no stains, no sight of blood. Adora leaned back in her seat, rubbing her eyes red. Taking deep breaths she shifted the gear andpulled out of the parking lot. "I just need some sleep, and some take out." She whispered, trying to convince herself that she slowly wasn't going insane. The quiet, dark roads of the highway brought Adora no comfort. Only the occasional beams of light from other cars and trucks seemed to pass. Glancing to her left mirror she could see a black car behind her. Flipping the switch, the ticking of the signal helped her off the path and down the ramp.

Pausing at a red stoplight, Adora's hand dug through her backpack for her phone. No one was behind her so she felt that there was no real cause to move when the light turned green. Opening it, the bright light illuminated the car, the blue light so bright that the woman winced but ignored the strain it brought her eyes. "Hey Siri, call Hyde." Throwing the phone back onto the passengers seat, she stepped on the gas pedal.The ringing echoed in the car as Adora frowned. Hyde never took long to answer, usually picking up the phone by the third ring. Adora glanced at the time on thedashboard and furrowed her eyebrows. 10:23. "Hello! You've reached the voicemail of Hyde. I am currently not available. Please leave your name and number and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."