16. The Human World

Ariana opened her eyes exactly at 5 in the morning. She didn't waste single second and got out of her bed quickly to sit on the desk. After going through her physiology notes, she opened curtains to her dorm room. She noticed condensation on the window and used her index finger to draw an oval shape and lines on top of it. She stared at it for a while before going to take a shower.

She came out of the bathroom fully clothed and headed for the college cafeteria. As she was about to take a seat, the cafeteria lady called her. "Ariana!"

Ariana sighed and walked up to her. 

The lady gave her a smile. "What would you like to eat?"

"The usual." she replied.

The lady grabbed a plate and started filling it with many things then handed it over to her. She found a table in corner and sat there. The cafeteria had started to fill with students but nobody sat at her table as she was known to be a loner. 

Ariana took a glance at the cafeteria lady, who was busy with other students. So she quickly mashed the food in her plate and threw it in a nearby dustbin. She waited for some minutes before collecting her bag and heading out. 

The lady had actually been appointed to keep an eye on her and to make sure that she was eating. It had been done noticing her drastic weight loss. Ariana knew that.

After attending a lecture, she returned to the dormitory. There were several chocolate boxes, bouquet and cards lying outside the door. She looked at them only once before entering her room. Grabbing her purse and car keys, she locked the door from outside. She made her way to the parking lot and was about to open the door to her car when someone else did it for her. She muttered a thanks without even looking at the person. 

"You'll not even look at me?" the person asked.

Ariana lifted her gaze to see the face to the voice. "Thanks." She repeated.

The boy smirked. "Thanks, what?"

Ariana continued staring at him.

The boy rolled his eyes. "You have to say thanks and then say my name." He explained. 

Ariana lowered her gaze. "What's your name?"

The boy had his jaw dropped. His friends, who were watching the whole scene from behind, burst into laughter. 

"Shut up!" He screamed before throwing an empty plastic bottle at them. He turned back to Ariana. "So you mean to say that even after talking to me for a whole year, you don't know my name?" 

Ariana shook her head before entering her car and driving right past him.

                                                                     **~~~**

 After an hour long drive, she stopped in front of a beautiful manor. Two guards opened the gate letting her inside. She stepped out of her car to be greeted by a women at the entrance. The women pulled her into a hug. "Happy Birthday, Ari!"

Ariana hugged her back. "Thank you, Aunt Bella." 

Isabelle let go of her and stepped back. "Let me see my baby."

It was difficult for her to hide her disappointment. Ariana looked even skinnier than before. Her collarbone was protruding and there were dark bags under her eyes. She hadn't even bothered dressing up at her own birthday. Nevertheless, Isabelle smiled. "You look pretty as usual." 

Ariana was surprised to find the house decorated and several arrangements being made. When her aunt had insisted on her spending her birthday here, she had thought of a quiet dinner with her aunt, uncle and cousin brother. She had no interest in celebrating a day which only held bad memories. "Aunty, this is too much."

"Nonsense! I say this is bare minimum." Kevin entered the hall, with his son, Dwight.

"Welcome and happy birthday sis." Dwight engulfed her into a bone crushing hug. 

"Happy birthday, Ari." Uncle Kevin wished her as well.

A year earlier, when Ariana had opened her eyes after being unconscious without her knowledge, she was shocked to see a completely different surrounding. The room, in which she was, had completely different style of furniture than what she was familiar with. Even the aura around her felt different. It was as if she was in a whole new world. She began panicking. Where was she? Where were her mother and her brother? As long as she could remember, they were having dinner together and she was talking to them. 

She tried to get up but her head was throbbing. Just then, she saw Beta Richard enter along with her mother's sister, Aunt Isabelle and her mate, Uncle Kevin. Ariana knew that her aunt lived in the human world with her human mate. She joined the pieces together and finally realized that she had been sent to the human world. Her speculations were confirmed by Beta Richard and despite her cries, he didn't take her back with him. Since then, her aunt and uncle had been acting as a guardian to her.

"Thank you." Ariana muttered before freeing herself.

"Now, let's get you all dolled up for your big day." Isabelle grabbed her by shoulder and took her to her room. Laying on the bed was dress which was too revealing for her liking. Sensing her hesitance, Isabelle laughed. "Oh come on! Girls these days wear even more revealing than this. People are allowed to wear whatever they like. You'll get used to this slowly."

Ariana nodded and took the dress with her to the changing room. Meanwhile Isabelle started unboxing the makeup products she had ordered earlier. When Ariana stepped out, she made her sit in front of the mirror and combed her hair. 

Isabelle and Kevin had always wanted a daughter as well. But they weren't able to conceive more than once due to their biological differences. So they were thrilled to take care of Ariana and Dwight was happy to have a sister. 

                                                                                **~~~**

All the guests had already arrived. Most of them hadn't seen Ariana before so their curious eyes were fixed on her when she descended the stairs. Murmurs could be heard. 

"Wow..."

"She's so skinny..."

"She is gorgeous..."

While Isabelle was worried about her weight and eating habits, many guests praised her for "maintaining her figure". Makeup surely concealed the dark circles under her eyes and her emotionless face gave an impression that she was poised and confident. However, she didn't mingle with any of them properly the whole time. Hence, in their eyes, she became a beautiful but stuck up rich girl who had it all.

She had an early class the next day. So Isabelle and Kevin didn't insist on staying for the night. She changed her dress to jeans and jacket. When she was at the door, her aunt called her from behind. "Wait!"

Ariana turned around. 

"Your mother is on the line." Isabelle put forward her phone with a hopeful smile.

"I don't have a mother.