Prologue- Gold

'What. Are. You. Doing?! I'm out here freezing my butt off to watch you crawl around on the cold ground of Times Square?' I get to my feet with an exasperated sigh. 'No, you're here to help me find money. I've already found.. 44 cents!' I exclaim, counting the coins in my hand. Malia shakes her head. 'What do you even need money for?' She asks, handing me a piece of gum. I pop it into my mouth and explain the obvious to her. 'I'm looking for money to donate to the animal hospital, duh,' I chew the gum and flip my wavy blonde hair, 'and you should be helping me!' Malia smiles. 'Fine. But only because I'm your BFF!'
                               ——————

'So where are you going again? And how long will you be gone for? Text me every five minutes!' I groan. 'Nana, I'll be fine! Stop bothering me! I'll be petsitting a dog. I'll be back at 10, I can call a cab. And yes, I have money!' I announce as I walk out of our old brick apartment. I pull my parka's hood up to block my hair from the wind. 'Taxi!' I yell as a yellow van passes me. Nope. I try to call a Jetta next and that one's full, too! Eventually I get a cab and climb in. I examine the apartment building once I get there. Super modern, sleek black building. I thought it was gold when  I got there, but no, it's definitely black... weird. Well at least it doesn't look sketchy. I walk up to their floor and get ready to step into my first paid job. I knock.