Children Of The Sea

With the smell of salt drifting peacefully through the evening summer's air, he wondered how his feet had once again led him to the place his brain would constantly push to the back of his mind. The beach, in all its baby blue glory, and its bright stars and full silver moon peeking from beneath that of the soft and puffy indigo clouds.

Bright images, images that aren't real, but look so..so...so real? How does one explain such a vivid feeling? That smile that can make even the most sad kid or oppressed teen or depressed adult, the happiest person? With arms to greet you, nice and soft and plush? With soft hair to play in, to softly tug, just because you can? Just because you are theirs and they are yours? How do you explain it?

How can you explain it?

He can't, which is why he finds himself in his current predicament. Feet shuffling the sand and kicking up broken shells. Shifty fingers picking up small crabs here and there. He loves crabs. He knows she does too.

They always show each other the cute crabs they find when they meet together like this.

Will she be here tonight?

Combing his fingers through his lavender streaked blond hair, he counts five crabs before trudging on to a hidden cove, just out of the way from drunks and a passerby if there ever comes to be one, going through the kingdom.

Entering the cave, and weaving his way through the stalactites and stalagmites, he finds his way to The Pool.

Where she comes to visit.

Slipping his shoes off, his silken nightrobes following and leaving him only in his swimming shorts, he dips his big toe in, to test if the water was fine to be in for a night swim with her.

However, right when his toe breaks the cold mirror of the water, a thumb and forefinger daintily grabs it.

Letting out a startled squeal, he quickly backed away, clutching at his quickly beating heart.

There, grinning like the shark that caught the human, she was, in all her shimmering beauty.

"Oh my goodness, you scared me!"

"How could I? You know I'm the only one who comes here besides you!" she scolds the young man gently. 

This made the said man go silent. "...Right."

Looking at her now, reassured that nothing has happened to her, made him feel lighter. He feels a sort of responsibility for her, like the responsibility of a babysitter.

Although he shouldn't. He already has too many responsibilities in his head. Literally.

With him donning the crown in less than three weeks, his life has become even more chaotic than it already was.

But never mind that.

"I brought crabs!"

"Ah, you and your crabs. I would say I brought koalas, but I can't say I brought you, now can I?"

He gives her a simpering glare.

"Oh hush, I brought crabs too. And shells."

"All the shells I find are always in bad condition. I'm starting to suspect that all the good ones are down there." he says this with a cute pout, his thick lips out in a pucker.

Of course she thinks about those lips, but their time will never be the future.

Only the past.

"What are you thinking about?"

Such a familiar question.

Which is answered, although bluntly, "Your lips."

Which is obtained with an incredulous look. "My...lips?" He gives a questioning look.

"Yeah, they look soft. How much cake do you eat for them to get like that? They look like pillows."

"Is that bad?"

"Not bad. Never bad. I like them." She loves them.

"Is that so?" He smiles lightly, crawling closer to the water.

"If it wasn't, I wouldn't have said it." This she says in a teasing manner, her lengthy tail bringing her closer to the edge of the water.

Then their lips meet, like impatient teenagers. Like newly weds on their honeymoon. Like shy, innocent kids. Like curious preteens, or affectionate kittens, or hyper puppies.

Like friends. Really good friends, best friends.

Friends forever.

Friends.

Forever.

In which a soon to be crowned King is in a secret relationship with a mermaid.