Chapter 1 - A Light at the Top of the World

Cr-ack-snap.

Nitrogen is pulled into my knuckles as my fist pushes into the man's diaphragm. I feel his heart stop for a brief moment, followed by the disgusting wet of bile pouring onto my shoulder. My fist starts getting dragged to the ground, so I quickly withdraw it as my opponent falls to the floor, gasping for breath.

"YOUR WINNER IS BRAAAAAAAADY TYSON!!!"

As the grandiose voice of the club's announcer reverberates around the subterranean stadium, I'm pulled back to earth. I squint up at the glaring lights that pour into the cage, and the door to the enclosure opens. I stand to attention as the owner of the club steps into the cage, a bejeweled belt in his arms.

"That was a spectacular fight tonight Mz. Tyson. You really are Olympia's finest."

"Thank you Mr. Argyros, but I wouldn't be here without you."

"Oh, you say that every time!" My knees wobble as the weighty belt hits my shoulders, and the bearded man shakes a finger in my face, "Why must you constantly shun the fact that you have a gift for this sport!"

"And why must you constantly ignore me when I say I have no real interest in fighting and that I'm only still here because you pay well?" The usual line exits my lips and Mr. Argyros' smile seems almost to stretch even further across his face. But I blink and it's gone; "Sir."

He grabs my arm and thrusts it into the air, declaring with his commanding boom; "Ladies and gentlemen I hope you had a wonderful time at Olympia tonight! I wish all of you a safe journey back to your abodes, and Brady and I both hope to see you here again soon!"

As the remaining patrons trickle out of the building I make my way out of the cage and back through the locker room. I quickly grab all of my valuables; this being a backpack with a change of clothes, my wallet, and my phone (the Nokia 5110 from last year). I quickly throw my shorts and vest on over my fighting outfit before exiting the locker room and meeting Mr. Argyros at the business elevator.

He lets out a grunt as I push the trophy belt back into his chest, and with a nod drapes it over his shoulder. I don't really enjoy having reminders of my job at my apartment, and he knows this, so we've just been recycling the same few belts for years now. It's what the fans want to see, I guess.

With a click of a button the elevator doors slide open and the glass box ascends smoothly out of the fight club. As it crests ground level the twilight glow of the setting sun greets my eyes, and I slump to the elevator floor, tossing my bag to one side. The glittering metropolitan cityscape recedes as we continue up the highrise, and I let out a sigh.

"Tiring night?" Mr. Argyros says. I glance up at him, and I'm met with a picture of a gaunt bespeckled man gazing out over the city.

"Tiring elevator ride more than anything."

"Ahaha..." The laugh falls out to be replaced by the noise of the pulley above. "I'm not particularly fond of it either. It's just..."

My ears perk up. He doesn't open up very often, so I like to savor it when it happens.

"Well, I only made the top floor my office because... I like looking out at the people. Being above them. It makes me feel larger than life, though I'm well aware that some would say that makes me smaller as a man."

...

"I don't think you could be where you are today and not deserve at least a little bit of lording."

"Mmm. No matter. Come."

The elevator doors whoosh open, cutting off any inquiry I may have made, and I quickly pick up my bag and follow Mr. Argyros into his office. He claps, causing the lights to flicker on, and I plop down in a chair in front of his desk as he pours himself a drink from his own personal mini bar. Shortly he joins me, and his glass clinks onto his desk.