1 - BROKEN

It was 11: 47am, the lunch break period of Dexterford High School. More than half of the students, sat in the cafeteria eating their lunch, some minding their businesses while the others were bullying and seeking to bully others.

The other half stood outside the cafeteria, gasping and murmuring as they watched a girl, dressed in black pants and hoodie, paint a giant skull on the outer wall of the cafeteria while hanging from a rope. She had long black hair that touched her waist and that was all most people had seen of her.

But, some people had seen than that. They had seen her fingers and her nails which were always painted black and were always covered by gloves. Some had seen her eyes which were always surrounded by black shades of eye shadow and her lips that seemed blacker each time you looked at it. But, none had noticed those bright blue irises that sparkled whenever she smiled. Neither had anyone seen her smile.

They all knew her name and all she did but most of them would never recognize her if she wore a color other than black. She was Jade Adler, the Gothic troublemaker who had almost burned down the school during a chemistry practical.

In a few minutes, the principal, Mr. Dolan, was making his way through the crowd with some teachers. He held a megaphone which he spoke through as soon as he stopped right underneath where Jade hung. His bald head shone under the bright sun as he told her to come down as calmly as he could.

Jade smiled mischievously as she looked down at the people below her. Their incoherent chattering felt bearable as she was more than 40 feet above them. Feeling the wind in her hair, she felt motivated to cause trouble and she popped open the paint she held and poured it over Principal Dolan's bald head.

The crowd erupted in laughter as black paint dripped from his head, ruining his clothes and Jade used that opportunity. Pressing a button on the belt she wore around her waist, Jade threw down the empty can as she was pulled up by the rope she was hanging on. As soon as she reached a window, she grabbed the window frame and jumped over it, packing up her gear into her backpack and running into the elevator. She pressed the second button and as soon as she reached the second floor, she left the elevator and used the steps.

Just as she expected, the security team was waiting for her at the elevator. She scoffed at their stupidity and she raised her hoodie to cover her head, then she walked sneakily out of the building.

She ran to the parking lot where her black motorcycle was waiting. She mounted her bike and wore her helmet. Plugging her keys in, she was about to start the engine when a hand gripped hers.

She gave a slight frown as she raised her head to look at the person who dared to hold her hand. Standing in front of her was Shawn Beckett, her former best friend. His 6 ft 4 height, towering over her 5 ft 7 frame, making it compulsory for her to look up at him.

He had short golden hair which was slicked back and bright green eyes which he covered with large rimmed glasses. His lips were round and full, fitting his well-chiseled face perfectly. Even without making an effort, he was already handsome. And, if Jade was a little bit like other girls, she'd have fallen for him.

"What's your problem, Bucket?" She sassed coldly, glaring at him.

"Your actions have really gone out of line, Jade. Come back with me and I promise to make sure you don't get expelled." Shawn uttered calmly and retracted his hand from Jade's.

"No thanks. I don't need help from a broken bucket." Jade scoffed sarcastically before kicking start her motorcycle and zooming out.

Shawn watched her leave and sighed as she disappeared out of his sight. He missed the old Jade. He missed his best friend. Sighing deeply, he turned on his feet and headed to the principal's office. He would try to get him to reduce Jade's punishment, even if he had to bear it with her.