The Conjunction

As everyone knows, today is a very special day for our world and beyond. Today is December 21st, the Winter Solstice. The longest day of the year.

We are also having an extremely special event today. We are going to witness an incredible astronomical event known as the Conjunction.

'As Earth's Northern Hemisphere goes down for winter and its longest day of the year, It seems Jupiter and Saturn has decided to put up a big show for all of us to see' Says Google.

The two largest planets, Jupiter and Saturn will be overlap to form a 'double planet', an even that hasn't been visible since the Middle Ages, nearly 800 years ago.

This rare double planet sighting or 'The Great Conjunction' can be viewed from anywhere around the globe.

Based on our vantage points from Earth, Jupiter and Saturn will cross within 1 degrees of each other (A fraction of the width of the full moon.)

This once in a lifetime rendezvous was drawn by Google, with Saturn and Jupiter high fiving each other while passing each other.

Though the two planets appear close, but in reality, the two bodies of gas actually has a vast distance of 450 million miles from each other.

If you are interested in watching 'The Great Conjunction', you would like to see it from a obstructed sky, like a field or park.

An hour after sunset, Jupiter will be looking like a bright star and easily visible in the southwestern sky. Saturn will be slightly fainter and will appear slightly above and to the left of Jupiter till the end of December 21, where Jupiter will overtake it and take reverse positions in the sky.

If you want to view it in India, the places that will be hosting the viewing will be in Delhi's Nehru Planetarium for sky watchers to view it. It will also be viewed at the Bengaluru Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium.

That's all about 'The Great Conjunction'.

Reference links to know more: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/science/news/winter-solstice-great-conjunction-saturn-jupiter-meet-december-21-2020-how-to-watch-2341630#:~:text=Winter%20Solstice%20this%20year%20will,Conjunction%20of%20Jupiter%20and%20Saturn.&text=December%2021%20marks%20the%20Winter%20Solstice%20in%20the%20northern%20hemisphere,its%20lowest%20daily%20maximum%20elevation.

Thanks for reading!