Heroes

Jenna bounded down the basement stairs to her best friend's play room.  

"Ally!"  She shouted, jumping the last two steps, "I'm here!"  

"Great!"  Ally exclaimed, glancing up from organizing her nerf guns, "I've been waiting for you for ages!"  

"I'm coming!"  Jenna answered, running around the furniture between them.  

The old couch, love seat, recliner and rocking chair appeared like barricades in the six and seven year olds' eyes.  Even before Jenna got to Ally, she had started the game, pulling the two of them into a world of imagination.  

"We're in the army, ok?  And we're both sergeants and we have to get all these guns to the soldiers!"  Ally explained, earnestly, her giddy voice turning into a serious whisper.  

Jenna nodded curtly, her grin also vanishing, "but we have to be careful not to let the bad guys see us, or they'll chase us and kill us!"  

"mhmm."  Ally agreed, "we better get started, but how will we carry all of them?"  

Both Sergeant Jenna and Sergeant Ally stared at the pile of weapons for a moment.  

"We'll use the cart from the first barricade."  Sergeant Jenna decided, taking a giant brown blanket from the old rocking chair.  

"Of course, then it will only take us four minutes to get to the troops; unless the bad guys see us."  Sergeant Ally agreed, helping her partner haul the cart to the pile of weapons, "you get the bullets and I'll get the guns."  

"Why don't we just grab whatever is in reach of us?"  Sergeant Jenna whined.  

"Because we have to do it right or we'll fail."  Sergeant Ally argued, narrowing her brown eyes.  

Sergeant Jenna rolled her eyes and bent to do as she was told but mumbled under her breath, "it wouldn't matter what order we did things if we don't get there in time."  

Working earnestly, the two sergeants, under the pressure of their very important mission, soon had the cart loaded.  Each of them took a side of the cart to either push or pull and they tip-toed to the nearest barricade, the rocking chair.  

They peered around the corner and when they found the coast clear, they hastily shuffled to the next barricade.  

"Hurry!"  Sergeant Ally, who was behind the cart, whispered.  

Sergeant Jenna glanced back at her partner, only to see the bad guys creeping up behind them!  They had seen them!  

"Sergeant, run!  The bad guys see us and they're coming from over there!"  Sergeant Jenna pointed behind them, dropping a corner of their cart.  

Bullets spilled out.  The bad guys began shooting.  Sergeant Jenna and Sergeant Ally's eyes locked.  

"We must get to the troops!"  

Picking their cart up again, they dashed past the next two barricades, dodging the bullets of their enemies.  Just when they thought they were as good as dead, their troops surrounded them, keeping them safe by shooting all the bad guys.  

"We're heroes!"  The sergeants rejoiced, raising their hands in the air.