Chapter 2 : Moving on with life.

18th March, 2021

Kinza looked up when she heard footsteps aproaching her. She was seated out of the operation theatre on the chairs placed in the corridor. The doctors were still performing the surgery on the unknown man, and she sat there tensed, praying for his safety.

As she looked up, she saw her parents approaching her and she quickly stood up, walking straight into her mother's arms.

"I was so afraid." Kinza muttered, closing her eyes tight shut.

"But you showed great courage. I'm proud of you, Baba ki jaan." Her father said, caressing her head lovingly. Kinza turned to look at him and gave him a tight lipped smile.

"I didn't know what to do. I'm sorry, I worried you both." She apologised.

"You went with Shahmeer but how come you were returning back alone in a cab?" Her mother asked, her forehead wrinkled with worry and confusion. On the mention of Shahmeer, Kinza's head snapped up to her mother and all the events that had happened that evening came flooding her mind. One part of her was worried for him and another was afraid on the thought of telling the truth to her parents. She didn't know what to answer to her mother's questions.

"I...uh...I.." She began to stutter.

"What is it, Kinza?" Her mother asked with a pointed look.

"I'll tell you everything. But, can we first go home?" She requested to get away from the questions. She looked at her father with hopeful eyes and he nodded his head, giving her an assuring look.

"Ohk let's head home first. It's already so late." Her father said.

"What's going on, Kinza?" Her mother questioned again.

"I'll tell you everything, Mom." Kinza sighed. "But lets go home first." Her mother looked at her pointedly but silently gave in to her request, shaking her head at her. They began to head out but Kinza stopped midway. "Maa, you both go ahead. I'll just return these belongings of the guy and come fast." She informed and took steps back to head to the reception.

"Hey Hi!" She greeted the receptionist and gave her a polite smile. "These are the belongings of the person who's being operated in the operation theatre right now." Kinza said, placing his overcoat which was covered in his blood, his cellphone and the ring.

"But isn't he your husband, ma'am?" The receptionist questioned, looking at Kinza through furrowed eyebrows, making Kinza go silent.

"That..It's like.." She stammered, having no answer to her question.

"Any problem, ma'am?" That brought Kinza out from her trance and she quickly shook her head and giving her a smile, she began to walk out taking all his belongings along with her. Stepping out of the main exit, she spotted her parents and she began to take steps towards them.

"Why did you bring all these things along with you? Weren't you going to return all these?" Her mother asked with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah I went, but since I had.." She stopped mid sentence, looking down at her feets, avoiding her parents eyes.

"You had what, Kinza?" It was her father who questioned this time.

"I swear I didn't wanted to but I had no other option." Kinza began to reason.

"You had what, Kinza?" Her father questioned again and she went silent for a bit as she looked down at her feets, nervousness suddenly seemed to grip her. Her palms began to get sweaty and she wiped them against each other.

"The doctors weren't ready to operate on him without the consent of his family, and his condition was getting worse with each passing second. I didn't know how to contact his family and having no other option, I signed the documents as his wife so that the doctors can operate on him as soon as possible." Kinza answered.