chapter thirty-nine

WILLOW

The next time I open my eyes, everything in my body hurts. From head to toe. There's a pounding in my head, and it takes me a while to get used to the dark room. It also takes me a minute to remember that I fell asleep crying on Mia's arms after I told her most of my life story. The important parts, at least. There's still a lot to say, but not everything can be said in an afternoon. I turn my head to the side, noticing how dark it's outside. I don't know how much time I've been asleep. My eyes go around my room with the soft light coming from the night sky, and I notice everything is clean and not a disaster anymore. My room even smells good. Everything is place, nothing's on the floor. Am I dreaming? Oh, god. Have I cleaned while I was asleep? I heard that was a thing. I sit up on my bed, and grab my phone— that's plugged to the charger. Has Mia done all of this for me? Gosh, I am so in debt with that family.

My heart twists in pain when I notice I have no new messages from Summer. I miss her, and I really need to see her. Hug her. I need the safe and comfort that she brings into my life more than anything right now. I miss her laughter, her face, her big brown eyes— What if I text her?

It's past midnight, maybe she's already asleep. Maybe she's not. Maybe she's thinking about me as I'm thinking about her. Okay, I'm pathetic.

My eyes shoot up to the door when I hear it opening, and my heart skips a beat when the girl invading my thoughts comes into view wearing Spider–Man pajamas, her hair is down, and she has the most beautiful sleepy face in the world. She's smiling at me, bright brown eyes shining in the dark. Of course I'm dreaming about her again.

I lean back on my bed, resting my head against the pillow. "God. I knew this was just a dream."

I hear a low chuckle. "You dream a lot about me?"

I sit up again, my eyes widen. Her voice never feels this real in my dreams. "Summer?"

Her eyes soften, she stays close to the door but I see her so clearly. So beautiful. So perfect. "Hi, baby." she whispers softly. "You're not dreaming." her lips curve into a smile.

I frown, rubbing my hands against my face. "Are you sure?"
Summer breaks our gaze and looks around my room. My heartbeat is going crazy inside my chest because my girl is here. She grabs something from my desk and throws it at me, it lands with a soft thud! in my head, causing a little pain in there. "Ouch! Why'd you do that?"

Her nose wrinkles when she laughs. "You asked me if I was sure. If you felt pain, this is very real."

I rub the spot she hit. "You're mean."

"I'm not." she rolls her eyes.

"What— What are you doing here?" my voice shakes.
It's past midnight and Summer Bennett is standing in my room, wearing pajamas and looking like she just got out of bed. Her Mom is nowhere to be seen and I'm wondering if I imagined the whole thing.

Summer takes a step closer to me and sighs loudly. She sniffles, and I stare at her eyes, trying to get a better look of her in the dark. Has she been crying? "My mama came for my mom and they brought me here. She was a mess, talking about lawyers and, I don't know, I got scared. They're gone now, I promised them I'll stay with you tonight."

"You don't... you don't need to do that."

"I want to." she shrugs. "I don't want you to be alone, we don't need to talk. Hell, I'll even sleep on the floor if you want. I just want to be here for you. We'll go to class tomorrow, and we'll figure something out later."