Part 1

Virat checked his watch as he walked in to Chavan Nivas – 7.40 PM.  The family would be sitting down for dinner now – he was just in time. 

As an IPS officer, times like these were rare to come by, so when he was presented with such opportunities he lapped it up wholeheartedly.  

“ arrey  Viru, you are home so early” Shivani bua greeted him, as he was just about to go up to his room. 

He stopped and turned to face her, “haan bua, it’s been – ” he started to say, when she cut him off, “good, go freshen up and join us for dinner. Kitne din ho gaye . You have been really busy these days”

“Yes, I –“

“SHIVAAAANI” Bhavani kaku’s voice called out. He shook his head and smiled, “aayi, Vahini” Shivani bua replied before shrugging at him and hurrying into the kitchen.

Shaking his head, he quickly trotted up the stairs, two steps at a time – he couldn’t wait to tell Sai that he had closed the most stressful case of his career. The last 2 weeks had been hell – there had been immense pressure, and every day he had looked forward to coming home to Sai and talking to her about his job and his cases. 

They had fallen into that pattern – everyday before bed, they would sit and talk – sometimes about his cases, sometimes Sai would regale him with tales from Gadchiroli – there was always some teasing, a lot of laughter, a lot of chatter.  And every night, he went to bed with a smile.

“Saiii” he called, as he pushed the doors open, only to be greeted by a dark room.  

This girl would never listen to me, He thought, frowning – he knew she had a big test coming up tomorrow, and she should have been here studying. 

Shaking his head, he walked to his wardrobe and pulled out his kurta. Pursing his lips,  he walked to the bathroom, making a mental note to talk to Bhavani kaku.

“No, Virat sir, bilkul nahi” Sai had implored when he had brought this up a couple of days back. They were about to go to bed when Virat had brought up her studies.

“I am not able to study as much as I would like to, Virat sir” Sai muttered, her face crest fallen. 

Something shifted inside him – he didn’t like that look on her face, and he understood why she was disappointed. 

“ I will talk to kaku” he assured, reaching out to place his hand over hers.

“No.” she implored, looking at him as if he had suggested something blasphemous, “bilkul nahi, Virat sir” she said, shaking her head.

“ but, Sai – “  he started to say, trying to reason with her.

“NO” she said with finality, as if that closed the discussion.

“ Sai, listen to me – “ he tried again, but she was having none of it. Sulking, she grabbed the cushions and placed it between them resolutely, before lying down with a plonk and staring at the wall behind him.

Unbelievable! 

Virat spent the next few seconds gazing at her, as she lay on her side, her hands crossed beneath her chest, a scowl grazing her face. Realizing that she was not going to talk to him now, he took his side of the bed.

Propping himself on one elbow, he turned on his side, “saiii” he coaxed. She looked at him, “ kya hai?” she muttered.  He couldn’t help it –she reminded him of a petulant child – who was cross because mom had just denied candy before dinner. He shook his head, unable to fight the huge smile creeping up on his face now.

That seemed to irk her more, just as he knew it would, “ ab aap has kyuuunnn rahe hai?” he voiced along with her, as she asked him the same question.

She glared at him.

“ mein has nahi – “

“smile kar rahe they,pata hai. Good night” she snapped, closing her eyes shut.

Chuckling, he reached out to her over the cushion fortress she had put up and placed his hand on her shoulder.  “I just want you to do well, Sai” he said softly, giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze.

She opened her eyes, the scowl on her face now replaced with gratitude “ I know, Virat sir” she said, smiling at him.

He smiled back, “ but, please, don’t talk to kaku. I’ll manage” she assured him. 

He looked at her for a couple of seconds, before deciding to let it go – in the time he had gotten to know Sai, he knew that she could handle this. He also knew that if there was really a problem, she would tell him. They had come to that level of understanding now. Their marriage has been a deal – she was his responsibility and just that. But now, now it was much more. Maybe it was the late night banters, maybe it was the way Sai understood him and his work, maybe it was the childlike glee and joy she brought into his family. 

Now they were friends, Virat thought, as he lied down, looking at her through the little gaps between the cushions.

She looked back at him, her eyes shining with gratitude. She placed her hand over his on the cushion “ Thank you for everything you do, Virat sir” she said earnestly, her eyes shining in the dim night light, a hint of a smile playing at her lips. 

A slow warmth spread across him  and in moments like these, he couldn’t help but wonder – were they only just friends?

And that thought disturbed him – because – 

He had promised!

Pursing his lips, he forcefully pushed those troubling thoughts aside – thoughts he knew would weigh him down. 

“good night, Sai” he muttered stiffly, closing his eyes, not waiting for her answer, and knowing that he was going to have a troubled sleep tonight. 

“Good night, Virat sir” came the soft reply. 

He would spend the rest of the night cursing himself, but he could swear on his uniform that when she said his name, it sounded different.  

****