𝟐

chapter two

"The Snowy Graveyard"

MID-SPACE

THE loud beeping noise emitting from the Razor Crest's dash was what had awoken the Mandalorian, sending him into immediate alertness. Within moments, he had exited the sleeping quarters and was climbing the latter into the cockpit above him.

He slipped silently into the pilots seat, where he silenced the beeping by turning on a few buttons and switches. He turned his head to the right, where an X-Wing fighter had pulled up next to the Razor Crest, and then another on the opposite side of it.

A voice rang out through the cockpit. "Razor Crest M-One-Eleven.  Come in, Razor Crest. Do you copy?"

"This is Razor Crest." Mando paused, taking in a breath. "Is there a problem?"

The voices on the other end gave vibrations of authority, and based on their choice of transport confirmed Mando's suspicions almost immediately.

As for his companions, both of whom make for silent, and rather uncomfortable, company, were both sound asleep.

"We noticed your transponder is not emitting."

Mando was silent, before speaking up. "Yes, I'm pre-empire surplus. I'm not required to run a beacon."

His words were followed by a moment of silence, before the voice spoke up once more. "That was before. This sector is under New Republic jurisdiction. All crafts are required to run a beacon."

Mando sucked in a breath, and then spoke. "Thank you for letting me know. I'll get right on that."

"Not a problem. Safe travels."

Mando paused, and then stumbled out a final few words. "May the force be with you."

"And also with you."

The words felt odd on his tongue. He rarely spoke them, usually only when he needed to kiss up to the New Republic members on Navarro. But now, they seemed less foreign and maybe, more meaningful.

"Just one more thing."

Mando's breath caught in his throat for a moment. "Yes?

"I'm gonna need you to send us a ping. We're out here sweeping for Imperial holdouts."

"I'll let you know if I see any."

"I'm still gonna need you to send us that ping."

Mando paused. "Yeah, I'm not sure if I have that hardware online."

"We can wait."

Mando lazily looked over the dash, and then looked ahead once more. "Yeah, I-...Doesn't seem to be working."