2

Pacifica walked out of the gas station with a mini bottle of burn relief spray and a jar of pickles (hell yeah). She hopped in the driver's side of her blue convertible, while reading the back of the small squirt bottle. “Okay, this stuff might itch at first, but it'll numb the burning.” Pacifica closed the door.

Pacifica had the roof of this expensive looking car over our head, and the heat turned on.

I just finished wiping coffee from my face and neck using a wet washcloth. My clothes are still soaked in a caffeine concoction, so I tossed my soiled jacket in the back seat.

“Thanks for buying my pickles. You didn't have too.”

“It was the only other way I could apologize without apologizing. Here you go.” She handed me the small jar of pickles and the spray bottle.

My mouth watered at the sight of my odd craving for the day. Pickles aren't something I eat, but there's a first time for everything.

“You said this stuff would itch?”

“That's what I read on the label.”

I removed the clear safety cap and set it on the dashboard. “Well that's because it has diphenhydramine mixed in it,” I mumble more to myself than the beautiful blonde sitting next to me.

As I spray the transparent liquid in my hand, Pacifica asks “what's that supposed to be?”

The burn rashes on my face sting in irritation when I applied the liquid.

“It's a type of antihistamines. It blocks the effect of a substance called histamine. Sure, it helps reduce itching, but it still itches for a couple of seconds. This stuff is mostly meant for poison ivy rashes.”

Pacifica reacted, as if she made an unforgivable mistake. “Then I'll return it and get something else.”

She tried snatching the bottle from me until I swatted her hand away.

“BUT” I continued. “It's seventy percent hydrocortisone, hence the name, 'burn reliever'.”

"You're a smart girl."

"T-thanks" I Wince, after spraying my left arm.

“hydrocortisone is also helpful for poison ivy, but it's good for soothing burns too.” My eyes flick toward Pacifica when she started giggling.

“Are you an MD or something?”

A small chuckle escapes me. “No, whenever I buy over-the-counter medicines, I Google the ingredients before using them. Call me paranoid but I like to know what's in the remedies I'm using."

Her sea-green eyes examine me for a brief moment causing her smile to drop. “Your cheek is blistering up. Do you feel okay? I-is the spray helping any? Gosh, I'm sor-”

Pacifica caught herself mid-apology and clamped her pretty pink lips in a thin line.

She didn't take her eyes off me, and the worried expression of hers held strong.

"Let's see how bad it looks." I flip the visor mirror down, seeing three small blisters forming. My cheeks and forehead are beet-red, but I'm not in need of medical attention, so I shrugged away my own worries.

I'm definitely not happy at the state my hair is in. Strands are clumped together and hardened due to dried coffee. My bangs stick to my ears and shirt making me look like a mess.

“Ugh!” I snarled in a very unladylike manner.

A heavy jolt of regret hit me after making such an unattractive noise. Can't believe I forgot she was right next to me.