Chapter 3

By the time the plane landed the sun was starting to set. We were a bit ahead of schedule which I didn't know was a good or bad thing. What if his family wasn't ready for me yet? Fears started to plague my mind, and I knew it was because I was getting married tomorrow. I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry, but I didn't. I just kept my composure and stood up when I saw the door of the plane open.

I walked down the steps, and I could feel Diavolo walking behind me. There were men, clearly either associates or bodyguards for the Seratorre family, waiting for me. They're all dressed in suits and they begin to walk me to a limo. All of the sudden I feel very underdressed. All I'm wearing is a black turtleneck and blue jeans and a large tan trench coat.

Before I know it Diavolo and I are in the limo and will arrive at the house in less than half an hour. 2 cars are following us and 2 are in in front of us. For protection I assumed. They couldn't have the future Donna being driven around unguarded. I need to distract myself, and I'm not about to start a conversation with a man who I don't trust. Italy truly is beautiful, especially the city. I look out the window and stare at the sunset. The sunset is truly the most beautiful time of day. The beauty of all the colors mixing together is almost poetic in its own way. I watch as all the colors slowly start to turn into darkness.

It's almost symbolic of what my life is becoming. All the color and freedom is being snuffed out by the darkness of growing up in the mafia. I'm suddenly woken up from my daydream by Diavolo.

"Miss Benetti, we're here."

He starts to reach his hand out to me, but I scoot out of my seat and brush past him. I step out of the car and view the house. It's beautiful. It's more of a Villa, and it's perfect for someone in the mafia. It's private, but just a few miles from the city. A bodyguard walks up to me and ushers me to the gates that lead to the front door. I liked bodyguards. They were strong, and they protected you. But they never tried to make conversation or become your friend. It made things
easier.

I walk into the house and I can't help but be amazed. It's decorated beautifully, I walk a little further and look up and of course there's a chandelier. It wouldn't be an Mafia house without one. All of the sudden an older woman comes running up to me and greets me.

"Oh Signorina Benetti! (Oh Miss Benetti) It's so nice to finally have you here. Your bags are being taken care of, how was your flight?"

I almost get whiplash from her words. She is being so kind and welcoming. I can tell she is a maid because of her clothing. She is old, I can tell by her wrinkles, and just a bit taller than me. I almost struggle to respond.

"It- It was good! Thank you- I don't think I got your name."

"Oh, it's Beatrice."

She shakes my hand, and reaches her arms out to embrace me. I don't know how to react. This is the most affection I had ever received from someone besides my father before. He was the first and last person I had fully embraced and trusted. And he had been dead for 10 years. I suppose I took too long to make up my mind because Beatrice put her arms back at her sides. She wasn't offended, she knew she may have been overstepping.

"Giada, why don't you walk around and become familiar with the house. Afterwards come find me and I'll show you to your room." Beatrice said, and motioned for me to leave the living room.

"Wait a minute, Giada." I turn around and find Diavolo approaching me.

"Unfortunately I will not be staying here, I'll be staying with distant relatives in the city." He tells me with a look of pity.

I try to hide my excitement. Thank god I won't have to constantly be having to avoid him.

"I'm sorry, Zio." I reply with a look of fake pity.

"Don't worry Giada, I will visit as often as I can!" I fake a smile and nod my head. It looks like I will have to avoid him after all. He is trying to get my trust. But he doesn't have it.

With that Diavolo leaves, and Beatrice heads upstairs. I'm all alone and left to wonder around. I walk around and observe the dining room, and I drift through the kitchen and see what's in the pantry. It truly is a beautiful place to live. Maybe living here wouldn't be so bad after all. I'm lost in the loveliness of the house that I don't realize that I've wondered into a random room.

It seems to be a study. The wooden shelves are stacked with books, and old photos. There are cushioned chairs next to a table with a chess board. I'm so distracted with the furniture that I don't see that figure that is only a yard in front of me. I look up and become startled by the man smoking a cigarette in the corner. He is wearing a disheveled black suit, his hair is a curly mess, and he is smoking a cigarette. He slowly starts to turn around and I immediately know who he is. It's the Don. Aka, my future husband. The man I am strictly not suppose to see until I meet him at the altar tomorrow. He takes another puff of his cigarette and squints at me. Suddenly he begins to walk towards me in a threatening way.

I panic and run out of the room and down the hall. God, I'm so stupid. I should've just told Beatrice I wanted to go to my room. I could be punished, he could send his men to beat me for not following the rules. How was I suppose to know he'd be home? Let alone in the room I had wondered into. After running down a few hallways and turning a few corners I finally find Beatrice.

"Take me to my room please. Now!"

She is startled and nearly drops the basket of laundry she is holding. She nods and leads me up a staircase, it leads to a hallway full of rooms. Beatrice gestures to the third door on the right.

"This is your room for tonight, you will join the Don in his room tomorrow." She says sternly. I know why. I need to be a virgin when I walk down that isle tomorrow. The white wedding dress symbolizes purity. Me sleeping on my own will ensure that I'm pure. I already had my hymen inspected last week.

"Thank you, Beatrice." I say, giving her a weak smile. I'm so tired from the flight, and constantly avoiding and running away from people. I just want to get out of these clothes.

After I get changed I lay down in my bed. I wish I had my sleeping pills. I'm so anxious. What if the Don comes in here and punishes me for snooping around? But that's not what I'm most afraid of. The lingering thought that lives in my brain is what's keeping me awake.

I'm getting married tomorrow...