Chapter Five: Where Do I Put My Crown? I'm Done

"In three weeks when my family returns home, a small party and I will be traveling to Nivetara. We are renewing our treaty and discussing business plans. If you agree to it, then there is room on my ship for a group of Dragons and a few knights to travel with me," King Syrus explained looking around the room. "Once in Nivetara it will be up to those you send to find La Fray. I do not have enough men to offer my services, but I have room to transport them," he said.

The room fell silent as we processed the plan laid in front of us. Three weeks was not much time to prepare, but it was our best shot.

"We need to clear up the coronation mess as well. This would give us a way to approach King Tathrow and show that we wanted him at the coronation. As it seems that they think we purposefully did not invite them," Sir Donwhick, one of King Philip's advisors, said. "We can send Lady Vanessa as she is skilled in cultural knowledge," he added.

"No," I said, earning the attention of those in the room. "I agree that we need to send a group with King Syrus. They will not only clear up the miscommunication, but also to stop La Fray. I also agree that Lady Vanessa is very skilled in her area. However, it is not she who will be going," I said, holding up my hand as the murmurs started up. "My brothers and I will go with a group of knights," I said.

The volume of the room rose quickly. Only quieted by King Philip standing up and calling for silence. "Samantha, I know that you want to see this mess cleared up. However, as queen there are certain tasks that others are suited for. We need you here in Auroja. We need to know you are safe, we just found you," he said.

Shaking my head I looked around the room. "I know that many of you do not think I am qualified to make these choices. I'm young, uneducated in ruling. However, as you have said we need to end this. This is not just a mess that can be swept away. La Fray has killed too many people. He has taken my family from me, before I had a chance to know them. He took the family that raised me. He took Orion, who became my father when I needed a family," I said standing up. "I may be queen, but I am also a Dragon," I said turning to King Syrus. "You said yourself send a few Dragons. I am one."

"Yes, you are a Dragon. However, you are also a child," Sir Gregory said.

My body shuddered as I tried to remain calm. "A child who survived an invasion at the age of one. A child who saw her entire village destroyed, then went back to bury her people. A child who not only became the first Dragon apprentice in years, but did it as a girl. A child who helped protect this very castle when it was left defenseless. A child who became queen and is not going to let her people be hurt by La Fray any longer," I said. Taking a deep breath I sat back down. "I understand your worries. I know that I am young. I also know that I have been raised for such a time as this. When we go to Nivetara, I will not be on my own. I will have my brothers with me, all of whom are Dragons. I will have the best knights handpicked for this trip," I said, pausing to let my words sink in.

"Your queen is right," King Syrus said. All heads quickly snapped to look at him. "She may be a child, but she is braver than most men I know. None of you in this room can say you have overcome what she has. She has a heart for her people and that's what this task requires. Think about the message it will send to Nivetara; that the queen herself traveled across the ocean to apologize for the invitation never arriving, to show no harm will come between your two nations because of what the mercenaries did," he said.

King Philip cleared his throat. "I believe we have enough to think about for now. If you are alright with it I say we adjourn until tomorrow morning," he said, looking at me. I gave a slight nod. "Good, then we will end for today. Gentleman as always the topics discussed here, stay here. We will see you after breakfast to make decisions," he said. He waited until everyone, but his brother and I had left. "You did well Sam," he said.