Chapter 18

Adrien's POV

After Alya "borrowed" Marinette from me, I turned to face Nino, and he smiled at me.

"Sup, bro?" He said, extending a fist. I complied with my own and we fist bumped.

"So? How goes it with Mari? Any progress?" He asked.

I smiled, then grimaced.

"Well the good news is we're official"

Right then Alya, who was walking with Marinette a few meters in front of us, let out a noise that I could only describe as a garbled screech before tackling Marinette.

Nino and I exchanged glances before snickering into our hands.

"Congratulations dude! I'm proud of you! It's about time!"

"Ahaha yeah.... wait, what-"

"But bro, what was with the grimace? What happened?"

"Oh. I.... I just kinda called her my girlfriend. I didn't ask her or anything. I kinda had a plan, but eh. Oh well."

"Was she upset?" Nino asked, looking a bit concerned.

"Oh, no! Quite the opposite actually. I just... that's not exactly how I planned it... you know, assuming we even made it this far." I said, looking at my feet as we walked down the stairs.

Nino put a hand on my shoulder as we stepped off the staircase, and I looked up at him.

"You guys will be fine dude. It'd be impossible to tear you two apart even if someone wanted to."

"Thanks Nino." I smiled, "But seriously dude, when did you get so wise?"

He smiled smugly as we walked towards the school doors.

"What do you mean bro? I always was!"

We both laughed at that.

We stepped out the doors and I immediately noticed the Gorilla sitting in the driver's seat in the car he drove to pick me up.

"See you after lunch dude." I said, nodding to Nino in parting.

"See ya." He nodded back.

I walked towards Marinette and Alya on my way to the car and tapped Marinette on the shoulder. She turned and I held out my arms for a hug. She seemed to blush, but immediately wrapped her arms around me.

I suddenly realized why Alya and Marinette hug all the time. Hugs are amazing, and Marinette gives the best I've ever had.

I reluctantly pulled back.

"I'll see you after lunch?" It came out as more of a question.

"Of course!" She smiled.

I smiled back and waved to both Mari and Alya as I climbed into the back seat of the car, both of them waving back as Nino slid his arm around Alya's waist.

As soon as the car door was shut, Gorilla took off towards the mansion.

We arrived in no time, and I was immediately escorted inside by Nathalie who was waiting as the car pulled up, swiping and clicking things on her tablet.

She walked me to the dining room where my lunch was already set out under two metal cloches. Nathalie removed both of them to reveal a cheese board, which was now complimentary with my every meal, and a plate of good looking food.

I picked up the beef sandwich and dipped it in the sauce before taking a bite.

As I began to enjoy my lunch, Nathalie informed me that my Photographer was still sick, so after school I had some free time. Then she warned me not to waste it, and reminded me I still had homework, and I had a chemistry lab due tonight.

I thanked her and she left towards her desk by the front door. Presumably so she could answer calls and emails.

As soon as she was gone, Plagg flew out of my shirt and started munching on his cheese. I rolled my eyes, but then let my thoughts begin to wander.

I thought back to my last (actual) conversation. (The few words exchanged with Nathalie not counting.)

I frowned, deep in thought. Was I really upset with the way things had worked out? No of course not. I had had time to think and adjust to the idea of being soulmates with Marinette. It wasn't hard.

She was so kindhearted and genuine, I was truly lucky to have her.

Huh, lucky... My thoughts immediately went to my lady. Wait, was I even supposed to refer to her that way anymore? I have a soulmate, and so does she, but we are also each other's soulmates. Add to that that we were..... last night.... we-

"Ughhhhhhhh." I groaned out loud.

"What? More lady troubles?" Plagg smirked. "I don't get why you bother really. Cheese is so much simpler"

"Plaggggggg" I grumbled, checking that the door was still closed. "I'm not in the mood for teasing."

"You never are! But it's my job to tease my lovesick kittens, especially when they're not in the mood."

I groaned again, letting my face fall into my hands.

Suddenly I sat up straight.

"Plagg, I'm dating Marinette now-"

"Yes, I'm aware." Plagg rolled his eyes, inhaling another piece of cheese the size of his head.

"If I'm dating Marinette, I can't, we can't-"

"'You can't' what."

"Last night with Ladybug, I-"

Plagg rolled his eyes. "What's your point, kid."

"I can't kiss Ladybug anymore! That would be cheating on Marinette!"

"And it wasn't before?" Plagg said, his tone disinterested as he picked up another piece of cheese.

"Wha- Plagg no! Of course it wasn't we weren't dating yet, we-"

"You were pursuing two girls at once, sounds sketchy to me."

"Plagg!!" I cried indignantly.

"Marinette is your soulmate, is she not?" Plagg said, sitting on the cheese board.

"Yeah, but Ladybug is my soulmate too!"

"Exactly kid. It seems pretty simple to me, so why are you worrying?"

"Plagg!! In what world, is this simple?!" I said, exasperated.

"Apparently not in yours." Plagg mumbled.

"And what is that supposed to mean!?"

"Kid, leave me out of this. I just want to eat my cheese in peace!!"

I sighed as Plagg began eating the remainder of his cheese.

Simple. How was this 'simple'.  Marinette is my soulmate, and I've known that for months. But Ladybug is also my soulmate, a fact I've known for barely over a week. I have two soulmates, which as far as I'm concerned, has never happened in the history of the earth. As hours of Google searching confirmed. And Plagg calls it 'simple'.

I shook my head, sighing.

I looked over to see Plagg stuffing the last piece of cheese in his mouth. How his tiny body could consume so much cheese in one sitting I had no idea.

I pinched my nose as he belched. He flew into my shirt as the door opened, and I looked up to see Nathalie standing by the door, her eyes fixed on her tablet.

"Your driver is waiting. You need to be back at school in 10 minutes, so please finish up."

I nodded and thanked her, and she walked out, leaving the door open.

I glared down at Plagg, as he had been less than helpful moments earlier.

I finished the last of the water set out with my lunch, and stood, grabbing my bag and slinging it over my shoulder.

As I stepped into the car, I scowled at Plagg's words again.

'Simple'. Whatever Plagg, this was not simple.

—————

Marinette's POV

Alya beamed at me, Nino's arm around her waist, as Adrien's car sped away.

"You guys are so cute, girl!! I'm so happy for you!!"

Nino nodded in agreement. "Me too. You make each other happy. You guys deserve that."

I blushed in embarrassment, staring at my feet, a small smile on my face.

"Thanks guys. I am happy, and I really hope he is too."

They both smiled at me as I looked up at them.

"Babe, did you wanna grab some lunch?" Nino asked, turning to Alya.

"Of course!" Alya smiled.

"Mari, did you wanna come with?" Nino turned to me, smiling genuinely.

"And third wheel again? Nah, I'm good." I smirked at him.

Alya laughed, "C'mon girl, please?"

I laughed too. "I'm alright, seriously guys. Besides, Maman is expecting me home for lunch. Thanks for the offer though."

"Alright," Alya smiled. "But don't forget! You still have to finish telling me alllllll about what happened with Adrien later!"

"Alya! I already told you-" I rolled my eyes, calling out to her as they started walking away, hand in hand.

"All of it!" She called back.

I laughed, waving as they walked away.

I skipped home, in a fantastic mood. I was officially Adrien's girlfriend!!

I walked in the door of the bakery, and hugged Maman and Papa.

"Welcome home sweetie" Maman said. "Your lunch is on the counter, I just finished making it."

I gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you Maman, I love you"

Papa called up the stairs after me, "Make sure to keep track of time Mare-Bear! Don't want you being late again!"

I turned and poked my head over the stair railing. "Of course Papa!"

I finished climbing the stairs and sat down at the counter, my lunch on the counter.

I bit into the wrap and smiled. Today has been a great day so far.

Tikki flew out of my bag, and I smiled at her too.

"Oh Tikki. Hasn't today just been the most wonderful of days?" I sighed, admittedly sounding a little sappy.

Tikki smiled back. "And to think you didn't want to go to school this morning!"

I could tell Tikki was just trying to be cheerful as well, look at things positively, but I had a sudden flashback to last night.

I groaned, my face falling into my hands. "Oh Tikki!"

"What happened Marinette?" Tikki said, sounding concerned.

"I'm dating Adrien."

"Yes? That's good news, right?"

"Of course it is! It's great news!" I said, pulling my face out of my hands. "I've never been so happy!" I finished, my face falling back into my palms.

"...I'm confused."

I sighed. "That's fair. This is all very confusing. It's just... What am I going to do about Chat Noir? Tikki I kissed him, and he kissed me back!"

"Like anyone ever doubted he would..." Tikki giggled, just loud enough for me to hear.

I chose to ignore her comment. "How am I going to face him now??" I cried.

Even if I hadn't gone and got a boyfriend within 24 hours of kissing him, I had no clue how I would face him after I'd kissed him.

"Tikki! I'm doomed!!"

"Oh Marinette." Tikki smiled gently. "You'll both be alright."

"But how do you know that for sure?" I whimpered.

"Marinette, never in the history of my life, have I seen someone have two soulmate marks-"

"And that's supposed to be comforting??" I ask her incredulously.

"Let me finish," she said softly. "But even so, I know you and Adrien, and yes, Ladybug and Chat Noir as well, will be alright."

"Thanks Tikki, but... This still means I have to pick one.... Right? I mean... I can't choose them both. That'd be cheating, and I could never do that to Chat or Adrien."

Tikki just smiled at me, her eyes twinkling with knowledge I did not have, nor knew how to obtain.

"Ohhhhhhh. Tikki!! Why can't this just be easier?!" I cried, collapsing with my arms covering my face on the counter.

"Marinette?" Tikki asked, still smiling.

"Yes?" I pouted, looking at her through a hole in between my arms.

"What time is it?"

I picked up my phone and turned on the screen to see,

"OH TIKKI!! I'M GOING TO BE LATE AGAIN!!"

She giggled, and flew into my bag as slung it over my shoulder. I raced down the stairs, only to turn and race back up for my phone which I'd left on the counter, before finally sprinting down the stairs, calling out goodbyes to my parents who were helping a customer at the counter.

"Gottagoloveyoubye!!"

Before they could even reply, I was out the door and making a mad dash for the school.

"Can't be late." I muttered, "Not again!"

—————

I sprinted in the front doors and ran into Alya and Nino on the staircase. Luckily, not quite as literally as usual.

"Oh hey guys! How was lunch?" I asked nonchalantly, as if I didn't just do a dead sprint from my house.

"It was pretty great!" Alya said, smiling at Nino.

"Yeah! We didn't have to worry about anyone third wheeling for once! Or worse, two people third wheeling!" Nino teased, elbowing me as we reached the top of the staircase.

"Har har." I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes at him.

Alya and Nino laughed.

Nino and I had been friends since preschool, so I wasn't phased. In fact I was preparing to tease him in return as we walked in the classroom, but my words fell flat.

"Hey guys!" Adrien called from his seat, looking up from his tablet as we walked in the room.

"Hey dude!" Nino called walking over. "Mind if I sit by Alya today?"

He turned to wink at me, and Alya beamed.

"He was raised well." She whispered to me.

"Oh! Of course! No problem!" Adrien smiled looking at me.

I went around to Nino's spot as Alya and Nino walked around us to take their seats.

I grinned at Adrien, only a little bit nervous, thoughts about Chat still floating around in my mind.

The class period went by fairly quickly, Adrien and I working together, with only a little bit of awkwardness creeping in.

I was able to push any unwanted thoughts to the very back of my mind and enjoy the company of my boyfriend. I internally jumped for joy thinking about that. This was something I couldn't wait to be used to.

The bell rang, startling me out of my thoughts, and I turned to Adrien after gathering my papers.

"Good work partner!" I said cheerfully.

"The same to you, partner." Adrien grinned.

Before I noticed what was happening our fists bumped and we both said, in sync,

"Pound it!"