Part Four

The bright lights of the mall made her feel marvelous.  Victoria gawked at the stunning window displays.  Bright colours showing the seasons hottest trends.  

    Dazzled by the shop's glamour, She found herself utterly compelled to buy things.

    Two for one. Fifty percent off.  Free gift with purchase.

    Victoria was expecting a message from her friend any minute.  They were meeting up for lunch and shopping.  Yet she found herself suddenly in a shoe store, asking for a size in a snake print stiletto. 

The deals were too good to resist, and the styles had her salivating.

    Her phone beeped.

    Lauren:  hey. whr r u?

    Victoria: omg found this amazing shoe sale!  across from the fountain! eta?

    Lauren:  like 10 mby? c u!

    Taking a seat on the over stuffed leather bench, she pried off her red bottom boots just as the goods were delivered.

    Feeling the excitement course through her veins,  Victoria did not waist time.  She checked for the proper sizes and went to the next pair.  

    By the time Lauren arrived she was already finishing up the purchase of five pairs of shoes and a matching hand bag.     

    "Did you want to grab some lunch before you spend all your money?"  Lauren said with a laugh.  "That new Italian place just opened up at the South end, I've been wanting to check it out!"

    "Absolutely." She said. "I'm starving."

    While they walked, they made shallow conversation.

    Victoria never took her eyes off the store windows.  Even as Lauren was talking, she was making a mental list of all the things she wanted to go back and buy after.  Walking past a shop of scented candles, she knew she would have to come back to this store in particular.

    William hated to admit it, but he loved scented candles.    

    Really, Victoria would have preferred to keep shopping.  She was not interested in eating at all.

  She only wanted to buy things, but, this was girl time, so she humored Lauren and they took a booth in the new restaurant.    

    The waitress had the two settled in with ice water, bread and menus within minutes of them taking a seat.

    As they both casually flipped through the menus, Lauren interrupted with a serious tone.  "How are you doing, Victoria."

    "Oh, um, I'm fine, you know.  Doing well."

    "Seriously," Lauren said.  "I'm worried about you." She folded her menu shut and folded her hands on top.  Her eyes were dark with concern.  "You spend so much time, alone, in that house."

    "Oh pshhh!" Victoria spat back.  "I'm actually doing really good.  Work is amazing, and when I get home, I'm just so tired!" She smiled at her.  "But really, I'm keeping busy!  I'm actually doing better then I would have thought! Really!"

    Lauren pursed her lips to the right, and raised her eyebrows in disbelief.  "I dunno, Victoria.  I knew you when your mom disappeared, and you didn't handle that very well at all.  Neither did your dad."

    "Lauren," Victoria said with frustration.  "I'm an adult now, and I have the skills to handle these difficult situations better."

    The waitress showed back up at their table.  "Are you ladies ready to order yet?"