Shattered Mirrors

Unfortunately, there comes a time in every adult life where we must and will see the closest people to us as fellow adults and not the child-like image we wish to hold onto.
Often times, the adult image can be a little depressing.
I see my mother, but lately I've seen a cage equipped with lock and key.
I see myself as the little bird anxiously waiting for willingly offered freedom.
I don't see my father, but I do see public transit. Ready, able, and willing to abandon whoever doesn't make it.
I see myself, foolishly believing that this train would stick around for me. Now I have to find a new route home.
I see my sister, but lately I've seen green. How dare she be given the freedom I deserve? How dare they leave her cage open?
I see the mirror. Its broken and shattered, reflecting a broken image in each little piece.
I see myself in many images. Tear stained, puffy cheeks and tousled hair staring back at myself in each little shard.
How do I fix it? How do I fix me?
I evolve and outgrow these images.
I pick up the broken glass and rebuild a new one.
I learn to see myself in all reflections of who I am. Accept the good and the bad.
Look for the best parts and see new things.
I see my high school friends and who they're becoming. I see the adult in them coming forward.
I see strangers and how good they could be. New lessons and fresh faces.
I see angels in bright lights and accept the protection they give me.
I see the animals roaming around and the lessons I will learn from them. Little spirit sidekicks.
I see him, my best friend of sorts, and all the endless possibilities. I see safety and light. I see home and everything I want to be.
I see myself again. I'm standing on the edge of a pier. The sun compliments the natural, radiant glow of my newfound self worth, love, and growth.
I see all parts of me in balance. New beginnings and open minds.
Free breathing and captivating.
The little bird in the cage has caught fire and rose as the Phoenix.
Welcome home.