Chapter 3

No P.O.V

Over a few weeks, the two gruff hedgehogs seemed to slowly stop being as awful as they once were. Although, they still had that lingering thought of getting their freedom. But something else seemed to be growing for the hedgehogs. Mephiles and Shadow suddenly began feeling weird around the two hedgehogs who were helping them all the time. As if something was making them feel happy and secure around them. Even though they liked the feeling, they always tried to brush it off and ignore it. It wasn't until they had each one to themselves again that they actually said something to their interests.

Mephiles' P.O.V

It was now or never that I was going to say something to him. I don't know what it was... but I felt this amazing connection whenever I was with him. I had to say something or else the feeling of it might kill me. I saw him drawing at the dining room table, minding his own business. His gray quills were shinier in the sunlight, and for some reason, I loved it. "S-Silver!" I managed to say. He turned around and saw me standing there. Those amber eyes really got to me. "You need something Mephiles?" he asked me. His voice is something I also loved. "I need to... to talk to you... if that's ok?" he replied at last. Silver got up and smiled at me before heading out the door. We walked down the block or two and I took him to a small forest that I knew about. "Just so I don't feel like you're about to murder me, what did you bring me here for?" he asked. I felt stupid for making him feel that way but tried my best to keep calm because I was already so nervous as it is. "Look... Silver... I know you probably feel weird about being here... about it just being us, stuff like that. But I... I'm not here to hurt you. In fact... I'm not sure what to say about any of this. I've been nervous ever since I spoke to you this morning."

Silver looked confused but I tried my best to keep focus on my mission. "I'm not sure what it is Silver... but ever since we've encountered each other. You're the first person I haven't had the urge to strangle, put down, or anything for that matter. I've never had anyone have the guts to stand up to me or anything that you have done with me. Something about you makes me feel... saner I guess. I just... I feel better around you. It's like the program actually helped me a little bit. I guess there are some areas where I still need help. But with you... maybe I can find that help." I told him.

I felt the heat in my cheeks, in the tips of my ears, and I even felt like I was sweating. "What are you trying to say Mephiles?" he asked me. I knew I had to spit it out. I had to or he'd never know. "I... I think I like you, Silver..."

Shadow's P.O.V

I heard that Mephiles was confessing to Silv since I finally convinced him. Understandably I knew he was nervous, after all, who wouldn't be when they're confessing to the one they love. I didn't think we could love to be honest. But I guess there's a surprise in store for everything. I looked out the window to see Sonic swimming in the pool and cooling off. He sat on the edge of the diving board and shook out his quills. I felt myself blush and growl at myself at the same time.

When I looked back out the window, I saw him looking at me through the window. He waved at me and then ushered me to come outside with him. I blushed and finally got up and put on my swimming trunks and went outside the door. I walked outside and saw Sonic had jumped back into the water. "Hey, Shadow! You came! I was worried you wouldn't come!" Sonic said once he came up to the surface. "Well, it's not like I had anything else to do." I replied, then I went slowly walked into the pool from the steps. "I'm glad you did though! I was starting to get lonely." Sonic replied and swam closer to me. "I didn't know you liked swimming." I told him. "I used to be terrified! But, thankfully Silver helped me get over my phobia. Ever since then, I've loved the water!" Sonic explained before he went back under the water. I took a deep breath before going underwater and chasing after Sonic who swam to the floor of the pool.