PORTRAIT OF PENITENCE.

PILLARS REACHING THE BLUE SKY, MADE OF WHITE SANDSTONE AND THE BLOOD AND SWEAT OF SLAVES

They called the city Alexandria, and this wondrous beauty resided in a country in the European continent –– Rome. From where we look back at it from our vantage point in history, we regard it with wonderment and think of the city as a pillar of Humanity's intelligence and diligence. And in today's day and age, a new saying emerged to honour Alexandria's beauty and the minds of the visionaries responsible; Rome was not built in a day.

The same, however, could be said for the task in Holly Hepburn's hands. It would not be done in a day and without shedding tears and perspiring blood.

Holliday Sommers, by marriage a Hepburn, was named after a fickle, terribly flighty story character who held a faux aura of sophistication and whimsicality to boot on a wintery, frosty day. The failed politician and his wife must have been big fans of Truman Capote to name their daughter after such a character; Holly Golightly.

Holly was as fickle and as much a 'troublemaker' –– as described by a pot-bellied, balding teacher in her second-grade parent-teacher conference –– as her name-sake. She remembered earning a bloody, bluish-purple mark around her eye on that choice day for that. Mother, Mary, must have thought she would be entering the garden of Eden that day to have cried so melodramatically.

Tatted, hand-me-down clothes were all she had seen and worn, being the daughter of a failed, dipsomaniac politician. Until they found the wonderful world of singing competitions. Holly's name was never uttered unless for her angelic voice.

Sweet like candy and addicting like milk and honey, her voice; there was only one problem, however. Stage fright was murder for a stage performer. Little blue pills from an orange bottle labeled messily 'XANAX' were the perfect solution.

A cloudy sensation took over, and little Holly Sommers was ensnared into a loopy trance. She was under a spell per se, but not so inebriated she could not hit the right notes. It was a perfect world for the mother-daughter duo, and the bank account kept growing. But it was not only the dollar count that grew, it was also Holly's greed. Not for money, but the blue pills. It was insatiable.