2.06 Mission Space

Kat sat down in Maria's sitting room, staring at the phone beside her

Kat sat down in Maria's sitting room, staring at the phone beside her. Taking a deep breath, she dialed her home number.

After a few rings, a male voice answered, "Stark residence. This is Danny."

"Danny." Kat breathed.

"Ma! Are you okay?" Danny asked.

"I'm okay, polpetto. I'm okay. I just... I just..." Kat struggled.

"We miss you too." Danny finished for her.

"How's Brooke?"

"She's good. Misses you like crazy, but she's not given me any trouble."

"That's good." Kat pressed her lips together.

Danny seemed to notice his mother's silence, "Do you want to talk to her?"

"Yeah, yeah. Only if she wants to."

Danny let out a small laugh, "You know she does." He pulled the phone away from his ear and called out to his sister, "Brooke, Mama's on the phone."

"Mama!" Kat heard Brooklyn cheer. Her voice became clearer, "Mama! Where are you? When are you coming home? I miss you so much!"

Kat chuckled, "I miss you too, pricepessa. Mama misses you so much."

"When are you coming home?"

Kat sighed, "Hopefully soon."

"But I want you home now."

"I know, baby. I know. But Uncle Nick and I are helping a new friend. I promise as soon as we're done, I'm coming home."

"You promise?"

"Prometto. Mama never breaks her promises, right?"

"Yeah." Brooklyn said in a small, sad voice.

"Have you been good to Sydney while your brother's at school?"

"Uh huh. She plays dolls with me. We watch movies all the time. We even watched your favorite."

"Oh yeah? Which one?"

"Top Hat."

"Really?"

"Uh huh. I remember you saying that Cheek to Cheek was yours and papa's song."

A sad smile fell across Kat's face, remembering when Howard would play the Fred Astaire song during the middle of the day, forcing her to dance with him. Those were some of the best memories Kat had of Howard, when he wasn't in business mode.

"You remember correctly. Your papa would always play it and make me dance with him." Kat heard Brooklyn giggle, "What else did you and Sydney watch?"

"Mary Poppins, Singin' in the Rain, Hello, Dolly!, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians."