Chapter Twenty-Eight

The red was stark in contrast against the black in the corners and crevices of the space

The red was stark in contrast against the black in the corners and crevices of the space. I knew this place like the back of my hand and yet, it still amazed me how vibrant and stylized it was.

The skewed objects in the room, the off-putting doorways and slanted angles all contributed to the surrealism but gave it character that I've come to appreciate instead of fear.

I made my way through the reception area and toward the hall that housed so many uncertainties and memories. Behind those doors were so many questions as well as answers. I would have the courage to open each and face what they had to offer, one day.

Today I was on the hunt for something in particular.

I passed the first creature who remained huddled in the darkened corner like a loyal puppy. Its stench was now more bearable and didn't clog my lungs as it used to. I was thankful for that. It was unusual but the creature seemed to cower in my presence. It's drowned out deep wailing no longer gripped me the way used to. Its hollow eye sockets now reflected the surrounding red and begged for attention I refused to give.

Deeper down the hall stood another creature. Its scowl used to fill me with fright more than any of the others. But now, it was easier to extinguish that terror. At times, the creature seemed to fear me more than I ever had ever feared it.

The last and final Scorcher was nowhere to be seen in the red place. Its enigmatic nature wasn't unlike it. Seldom did it make an appearance even in reality, making itself known on rarer and rarer occasions.

And when it did show up, its unpredictable behavior had it lunging at me at times. However, I refused to let my guard down when it was in my presence. I would resort to raising my voice to put it in its place. It would stand down but reluctantly, wanting so bad to rage and destroy all that it could.

But those creatures weren't why I was here. They knew it.

I entered my old room that housed a worn and beat-up mattress and wooden box spring. The notebook wasn't on the end of the bed this time, but a particular creature who possessed astonishing blue eyes and bright white hair was.

"There you are," Lilac said with a tone dripping in a bit of disapproval and sarcasm, probably due to the amount of time that had passed before I could see him again. He cocked his head and gave me a look out the side of his eyes. "Miss me?"

My heart lit up with happiness and relief. "Come here." I rushed into his arms, not even allowing him to stand first.

We wobbled as we embraced and chuckled when we almost toppled over. I worried he would be disappointed in me for breaking my promise, but we were once again in each other's arms and that was all that mattered.

"I'm so sorry I put you through so much." I pulled away only to look at his freshed-face grin.

He stared back, studying my face and the sutured wound that ran from the corner of my lips to the end of my cheek. "I am so sorry you were put through so much." His fingertips gently grazed the swollen flesh below my sutures.