I'll Never Be The Same Again Now

"So, you two have been here a week now, what do you guys think of New Jersey?" I ask as I sit down on the side chair, relaxing with a mug of coffee.

Angelica shrugs. "I definitely prefer New York, but I suppose it's not too bad." She says and Peggy groans.

"It's not even that different, Ange." Peggy complains. "I would definitely live up here with you guys if I could." 

I chuckle gently and shake my head. "I don't think John and I have enough room in here for you to join us."

"Well why not? John never seems to be home." Angelica scoffs. 

I inhale sharply and Peggy slaps her in the arm. "What? It's true. I see him in the mornings and then I don't see him for the rest of the day. Where is he now?" 

"He's out with his friends right now, they're just very close." I state, trying to show I didn't have a problem with it. Even if I did.

Peggy sighs. "You know John loves you no matter what, right? He's just excited, he's never been able to live life the way he wanted to, he hasn't really been free. It's a new feeling to him, and he's just trying to get the most out of it that he can." 

I nod. "I'm not worried. There's no reason to be worried, right?" I chuckle gently and sip my coffee. I had lots of homework to do tonight, so I needed to stay awake after the girls fell asleep. 

Angelica shrugs. "I dunno, John can be unpredictable sometimes." 

Peggy snorts. "To you, maybe." She then looks at me and gives me a warm smile. "Don't worry, Alex. John will come around eventually, he really does love you." 

I smile. "Thank you." I stand and stretch. "Well, I'd better get started on my homework, I'll see you girls in the morning, yeah?" They nod and I head to my room, sitting at the desk we had set up in the corner. 

Timeskip brought to you by murder being frowned upon in all 50 states

I rub my eyes as I look at my phone. A picture of John kissing my cheek flashes a little too brightly with the time 4:24 am above it. I sigh and look to my empty bed. John had not come home yet. 

I set my now finished homework to the side and then walk over, plopping down face first on the bed. I roll over and unlock my phone, going to my contacts and calling John. The other line rings a few times before I get sent to voicemail. I frown and try again, but he yet again doesn't answer. I sigh and figure he fell asleep, so I do the same without him. 

When I wake up the next morning, I frown at the lack of warmth. I pull the blanket over me and scoot closer to John, only to find the other half of the bed empty. I open my eyes and see he wasn't there and I frown even more. This was the first time since we've moved in together that I woke up without him here, and it was weird.. and lonely. 

I drag myself out of bed and walk into the livingroom, seeing Angelica and Peggy chatting on the couch. They look over at me and Peggy smiles. 

"Oh, Alex, I made breakfast for you, it's on the counter over there." She says, pointing to a plate of eggs and bacon on our counter. 

I nod. "Uh, thanks. Did John leave early this morning or something..?" I ask, grabbing the plate and sitting across from them. 

Angelica raises an eyebrow. "We haven't seen him at all, I thought he was still in bed or something." 

"Oh.. Uh, no, I guess he never came home last night.." I sigh softly. "That's fine, he's an adult, he can make those decisions."

"But don't you think he should have told you first?" Angelica asks. 

"Angelica.." Peggy mumbles.

"Well, I'm his boyfriend, not his dad. He doesn't have to ask my permission." I defend.

"True, but don't you think yo deserved at least a heads up? He said he would hang out with his friends, not spend the entire night with them." She shrugs. 

"Well, yeah, but like I said, he's an adult, he's old enough to make those decisions for himself. I can just be there for him, and love him."

"It's kind of hard to do that when he's never around." She says, Peggy glaring at her for what she said. 

"Angelica! You can't just go around saying that stuff!"

"Saying what stuff? The truth? I'm sorry, he needed to hear it. I love John, but he's starting to do the same thing he did to all his flings in high school!" 

I feel my heart break a little bit and I shake my head. "Ange! Alex is not one of John's flings, you and I both know that. Why would you say something like that?" 

Angelica scoffs. "Maybe it didn't start off as a fling, but John's never been one to stay in one place for too long. I'm honestly more shocked he's still dating you rather than the fact that he's never here." 

I hug my knees close to my chest as the two sisters argue in front of me. She was bringing up some good points, as none of John's previous relationships had worked out. He was the school's biggest player, it wouldn't be unlike him to suddenly drop me. I take a deep breath and the two stop bickering and look at me. 

"Alex, I'm sure everything will be fine-"

"No, Peggy it's okay. Angelica is right, he's never been one to stay satisfied for long. I just have to talk to him about it, when he comes home." 

Angelica frowns and nods. "You know, I think it's about time for Peggy and I to get going home. It's been a lovely week, truly, but I feel as if we're intruding now."

I nod. "Well, you're always welcome back. I'll see you guys later." 

They pack all their stuff and I hug them goodbye. Peggy grabs my arm and stops before she leaves. "You two are going to be okay, I promise." She says and I nod at her. 

They leave and then I sit on the couch. I had no classes or work today, and neither did John, so I was hoping we'd get to spend the day together, but he was still out. He stayed out until about ten at night, where he tried to sneak in. 

"John, we need to talk.." 

1116 Words