Chapter Seven - Annie

During our time in the capital, Finnick and I have been sleeping together in the same bed. Maybe it's because of the horrific memories these rooms bring up for me, and the nightmares I have, maybe it's because our relationship was progressing, or maybe it's just because we like the comfort and the warmth the other one provides. Either way, waking up in his arms helps calm my nightmares, but nothing can calm the horrors of watching these tributes, and getting close with them. Today was the interviews, and the revelation of tribute scores. I just don't think I'll be able to get my heart up to hearing all about their lives back home, and all about their hopes and dreams, just to see all but one of them get killed.

I turned in to Finnick's shoulder, wrapping my arms tighter around him. "Hmm?" He rouses, his eyes opening, and his fingers going to comb through my hair that matted down to the pillow overnight as I slept.

"Oh nothing, I'm sorry to wake you. I was just thinking, today's the interview," I explain, my fingers tracing over his back nervously. I see him nod his head and push himself up in bed, extending his hand to pull me up too. As we sit up, the blankets still tucked around us and keeping us warm, he wraps his arms around me, holding me close to him.

"I'll be with you this time, sitting next to you in the audience. If you'd like, we can bring ear plugs, so you don't even have to hear about the tributes, but you can just see their dresses and suits," he suggests, his fingers running over my arm soothingly. I nod my head at him, looking up at him with a small smile on my face.

"Sounds like a perfect idea," I agree, leaning in to kiss him softly before getting up and out of bed. I might as well get back to my room and get dressed, so that I can go talk to at least Alberta before she has to get ready for the interview. I wave a quick goodbye to Finnick, who winks at me as I leave the room. A small blush spreads over my face along with my smile as I slip into my room unnoticed, and I begin to get ready for the day. I decide to put on on one of my more formal outfits, since we would be going to watch the interviews from the audience later, and I didn't want to seem unprepared or like I didn't care.

Plus, the fashion and the decorations were my favorite part of the capital. I might as well give in to them while I'm here, if I need to keep coming back every year.

After pulling the dark green cocktail dress over my hips and the rest of my body, I find myself unable to reach the zipper on the back that held it up. Exasperated and lacking a bra, I carefully left my room and knocked on Mags' door. She would not make me uncomfortable, like Cero, or want to have sex, like Finnick. She would just smile and zip my dress, then walk with me to lunch.

And that she did.

I took Mags' hand, helping her down the hallway and towards the table of food. She hasn't been talking as much as last year, perhaps the decapitation of Percy was hard on everyone, not just me. I force my mind to glaze over the thoughts of Percy, and look over at Mags, her wrinkled face smiling, as always. When we get to the table we find both tributes sitting with the world between them, and Velerio awkwardly trying to encourage conversation between them. Mags and I sit down across from Alberta, and succeed much better than Velerio did at talking to her.

"Alberta, what color do you think you're going to wear tonight?" I pick up an apple from the bowl on the table, inspecting it before taking a big bite, savoring the tart flavor. "And have you met your stylist, Burundi? She's absolutely wonderful,"

Alberta nods her head nervously, looking over her shoulder at Lorem, before leaning in close to us. Mags and I share a look, leaning across the table so Alberta can tell us whatever it is she doesn't trust Lorem hearing.

"I love her," she whispers with a small smile growing over her face. "She doesn't like men.." a small giggle escapes her lips before she looks down at her meal guiltily, as if she had forgotten she was going into a fight to the death. I understood that. Before I could say anything, Mags reached across the table and squeezed her hand softly.